1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alien RPG coming soon!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 14 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Good news for Alien fans - especially as the team behind it have made some classics. I agree totally with
    As I'm eagerly awaiting the 3rd instalment.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

BioWare might decide to develop KotOR III instead, but I doubt it since they've got Mass Effect to finish and some dragony RPG thing I havn't heard much about.

Interesting to see how Obsidian do when making thier own brand new game, so far I think they've just done the sequels to BioWare games, they've done a respectable job though.

4. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

That's exactly what I was gonna say, so far Obsidian have yet to produce an original IP, all their success comes off the back of Bioware, KOTOR 2 was critised for being unfinished and scruffy and Neverwinter 2 has hardly taken the world by storm, essentially a large expansion pack... Sorry, not convinced that they are the right team to handle a franchise as big as Alien, having said that I look forward to see what they come up with and hope it has more of the creeping fear of the original and not the shouty shouty Vietnam in space feel of the second (I'll probably get flamed for that! Oh well I can take it!).

5. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

for sheer RPGness, you can't beat Neverwinter Nights 2. My main complaint is the linearity of it all, and lack of compelling side quests, minus those related to the characters. I'm not quite sure how to do Aliens justice in an RPG manner, because honestly, I don't see Ripley leveling up as she fights through the Nostromo... but maybe thats just cynical me... Now, should they follow System Shock 2's footsteps and create an FPS/RPG... that I would want to play. It would be like System Shock 2 with next gen graphics and oOo... maybe a party to tag along with :rock:

6. Chuff_72

Heaven forbid I should mention a GW product but Space Hulk (PS1 version) combined with Deux Ex... [insert rocker here] (goddamn smilies aren't working)

Honestly though can you see Sega hiring Obsidian and instead of asking them for a point and click rpg (Neverwinter) they commision a FPS/RPG hybrid, I don't think so, still we can hope they get booted and it's passed to Starbreeze or someone. I'm just waiting for the press announcement... "Using a modified AD&D rule set... bringing the "Alien" world to life!" I'm afraid that'll be a killer for me, unless it's an action-rpg eg Baulders Gate (PS2 - Yes I'm a console gamer, if you hadn't guessed).

Looking forward to see their take on it though, and let's not mention THAT EA rts shocker...

7. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

ALIEN!!! YES!!!! finally an RPG i'll enjoy (besides Deus Ex 2 of course), is it going to be MMO? would be class to have groups of you fighting them ^^

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

alien + FPS + RPG game...... must play!!!!!! :D

9. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

"Who are the space jockeys?"
    "What was the derelict space jockey ship doing on the planet full of xenomorph eggs?"
    "How are the space jockeys and xenomorphs related?"

Come straight to mind for me.

10. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

11. Chuff_72

Read the thread from the start dude, Obsidian made NWN2 and KOTOR2, this wasn't mentioned in the article for whatever reason...

Sorry forgot to answer your question :duh: This game is being developed by Obsidian, Bioware are only interested in their own IP's at the mo, assuming Mass Effect turns out to be as good as we all hope then they aren't gonna be making any other games for a while!

12. Chuff_72

I believe it's called Dragon Age and should be pretty awesome, more along the line of Jade Empire, I think they are really working hard to create a really "real" world, with a full history and it's own languages... we'll see.

13. Narvi

Narvi What's a Dremel?

Bah, I'm more interested in the FPS then the RPG. Seriously, how could you RPGize the Alien universe? Twenties get you a kill with a pulse rifle? It doesn't seem to fit. Star Wars had lightsabers and forcepowers and things.

14. Chuff_72

It'll work, just probably not as well as we want! As far as fps goes, the Alien franchise is pretty well represented, but it would be nice to see a new shiny nextgen AvP on 360. Look up Aliens: Colonial Marines, EA were making it an it looked just like GRAW in space, though it was for PS2 (I think) it got canned though, shame.

Tags: Add Tags