1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An UnenVIAble future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Dec 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

A sad day indeed, it'll be a shame to lose Via from the matketplace. :(

3. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I don't think we'll see them disappear totally, but it looks like Intel will force them into losing something. I didn't realise they were having problems.

Shouldn't it be EPIA mini and nano?

fixed, thanks - Tim

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wonder if there isn't a possibility of an anti-trust action against Intel in this. Seems to me this is exactly the kind of thing anti-trust laws are designed to prevent. Seems like they might have a decent chance in front of the EC on this.

Woot, that's two zero zero zero, baby! :thumb:

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

the VT8237 was released on the s754 chipsets, I remember because it was my first A64 system and I had to have it imported due to it not being released in the UK at the time.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, then it was revised into the 37R a bit later, but you're right, same basic technology.

7. DougEdey

Didn't the R just sort out a couple of software bugs?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You're testing old knowledge now :p but I think it fixed some stuff and it added RAID 0 and 1 support.

9. Nature

Nature Minimodder

VIA should be materialized into a marshmallow and then stabbed with spears!!! :D
    I loathe VIA motherboards.. I loathe them so...

10. DougEdey

VIA are great as cheap systems, I built 4 around them for £200 a piece a couple of years back (stuck on duron 1.2) but they still work perfect.

11. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Slightly off topic - but where did the Via logo disappear to? Did intel pressure you into removing it?

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

lol :) no, it's a column. We didn't have a good picture (relatively speaking) of Richard :)

13. DougEdey

You still don't :baby:

14. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Cant VIA claim that the patents create a monopoly in the CPU world and restrict it to the big 3 companies (AMD, Intel and IBM).

What if it proposed going ahead with the CPU manufacturing but instead of a license they pay a royality fee for each of these CPUs used that infringes in the patent.

I would like to see VIA stay in the market, especially with their progress within the SFF market, mainly around SFF which i think is the way forward in PC form factors.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:waah: :waah: :waah: I shoulda stuck a picture of me, blue and dancing up. Everyone loves that.

EDIT: Just reaslised I would have to be naked too.. maybe not.

16. DougEdey

Ewww naked smurf style Bindi

17. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

[Off Topic]
    That's the face of The Evil Bindi? :jawdrop: BWAHAHAHA :hehe: :lol:

Sorry dude - meant no disrespect - you just look much younger and much less threatening than I expected. :lol:
    [/Off Topic]

Good article. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

I'd like to see VIA go into making whole systems - especially car-puters, micro HTPCs, tablet PCs, etc.

18. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Thats what he looks like, Ha! :hehe:
    Much disrespect intended. :D

Via makes great basic consumer level chipsets but I have never seen an enthusiast level from them, if they were to go into reliable/durable car-puters then they would have an edge. They already have the small form factor working and if they made something that could take the 0 degree mornings or colder then I would get one.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

NOES I've lost my evil edge! I'm only 6 months younger than Wil :p

Speed: You weren't around in the early Athlon/mid-late P3 days? VIA made some fantastic enthusiast chipsets back then, but just continually dropped product cycles over the last few years and have ended up fighting SiS for the bottom end and OEM market. Their drivers weren't fantastic but compared to SiS and AMD chispets of the time they weren't that bad.

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

all this balckmail with patents is pathetic the whole patent/trademark/copyright thing should be given up as a failed experiment. It has met non of its stated objectives and restricts progress. VIA produce kickass low power chips and would make intell and amd soccet compatible chips if only they could. I wish there was more choice than just intell and AMD :(

Tags: Add Tags