1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 3.2 million Wiimotes recalled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 15 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I don't think they're recalling the controllers, just the straps. And I think that in the US you can head onto the website, say how many straps you want, and they send them out.

So it may not be any kind of recall at all!

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

And it's not a worldwide recall - according to Nintendo, any Wii sold from early December onwards already has a stronger strap fitted, so that should make any European-release Wii OK.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I would be happy to replace my Wiimote strap but is there any word of how to actually go about it in the UK?

5. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Who on earth put that light up in the picture? Deserves all he/she got if it was their own work.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I suppose this is what you get for making a console that people other than nerds play. Having said that though.... I did find myself getting maybe a bit too animated while playing Zelda the other night... Those damn shadow things are utter ****s sometimes.

Don't circumvent the swear filter, it's there for a reason. - Hex :nono:

^^ I wasn't trying to circumvent it... :D must be broke... Can't even remeber what I typed now to be honest.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2006
  7. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

I would just like to say that this is a duplicate thread :p

Also it's not a recall of any sort, they are sending replacement straps in the mail, check Engadget for more info, they have a form from Nintendo on their site.

8. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Not true, as mine has a thin strap, and the one I got with Wii Play is also a thin one.

Some people have been getting the thicker straps though, so it seems a bit hit and miss.

edit:

The Engadget link is only for US people. I don't think there's any word on how it's going to work in other areas yet.

9. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Dude calm down no need for such harsh words in your post lol *pats will on the head*

There just covering there arses as you bloomin well know every damn yank will sue em if they break a lamp, stupid yet true.

morgan.

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Dec 2006
  10. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I definately won't be sending my two back, but I will be buying the silicon covers for them. This will both protect them and give added grip.

11. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

Dude, nobody's sending anything anywhere (except Nintendo), they are just gonna send a new strap in the mail... probably, as my esteemed colleague pointed out earlier, the UK plans have yet to be revealed.

12. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

Maybe my maths isn't what it used to be but if they've sold 325k Wii's then why are they recalling 3.2million controllers? Is everyone buying 10 controllers for each console?

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

325k, is only UK sales. 3.2 million controllers is world-wide.

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

lol.

If this was Sony you would all be slagging them off left right and centre and swearing at Sony. But because its Nintendo your all ok with Nintendo making a unsafe product as the strap fails.

Nintendo can do no wrong even recalling 200k DS power supplies.

15. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

wouldn't it make more sense for us to give them the address's and them send the new straps.

16. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Again Ryan's lack of research gives incorrect information..
    not a recall of the Wiimotes AT ALL - just offering new straps if you want them.

17. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

As it turns out the UK are able to phone an 0870 number listed on the BBC site. Ill dig it out in a sec.
    ::edit:: Ahhh yes. From the console section of the forums the link to the beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6182013.stm

Farlington actually is about 5 miles from me.. Maybe I should go a knocking for new ones? ;)

18. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

QFT

19. Silent002

Silent002 What's a Dremel?

If anyone's interested I've just received a reply from wiiwriststrap@codestorm.co.uk:

So anyone from the UK that has the old Wiimote strap, regardless if it's broken or not, should email wiiwriststrap@codestorm.co.uk with your Address.

Hope it helps. :)

20. ChriX

ChriX ^

But the strap doesn't fail, and even if the strap wasn't there at all it's not exactly unsafe, to people that can understand it's a games controller and not a bowling ball or whatever.

While we're at it, I can't see the problem with recalling 200k power supplies either. I believe the problem was that "they might get too warm", as opposed to "several have exploded into balls of fire". :p

Tags: Add Tags