1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista SP1 release scheduled for 2H07

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jan 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Bugger, I think i'll wait then :(

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Well looks like I will be waiting a little longer to get Vista, as this service pack seems to be rather needed. I wonder if there will ever be an (EDIT: Microsoft) OS that doesn't need service packs, and just the occasional update?

4. BlueDemon

BlueDemon What's a Dremel?

I'm still not quite sure why I would need Vista. XP is still catering to my needs, and I really can do without the pretty new Vista interface.

No doubt Vista is "safer, faster, nicer, better", but seriously, why bother?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I guess it depends on whether you're a gamer and want to play games with DX10 running. At least, that will be my main reason for making the switch. Having said that though, I'm leaning towards dual booting until SP1 is out.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Honestly, this just makes me feel better about my decision to go Linux. :thumb:

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I had no intention of moving to Vista before SP1 in any case, and this just reinforces my judgement. :)

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Well, I'm already there. 64-bit too.

And yes, it's somewhat problematic, and I certainly haven't seen any killer reason for upgrading. It will be a while before some basic kinks are worked out, though a lot of that depends upon hardware and software producers.

But I'm loving it, and there is no way I could go back. After nearly 6 years of XP I'm finding the change really refreshing.

I like Vista and I'll be sticking without regardless of what happens with SP1.

9. kempez

kempez modding again!

Vista is indeed a refreshing change from XP. After running RC2 for a long time I am looking forward to dual booting it with XP...until SP1 maybe :)

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I want them to sort out Samba connections.

11. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Already on Vista, my computer was due for a format, and I was feeling a tad experimental. I like it, i mean, installing drivers can be a bit of a bitch (such as a certain Wifi driver, and my soundcard), but it does make a nice change

12. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I'll be upgrading to a nice legit* copy of XP Pro with a nice theme to replace the fisher-price graphics :)

*This either does or does not imply that I may or may not be possibly running a (il)ligitimate copy of a certain OS

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Since I had planned to wait at least until SP1 this means I might switch sooner than I expected. Though, if not for the lack of support, I'd still be running WeeneeDOS98 on at least one of my systems.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

predictable.... and it is predictable that i will jump to linux as soon as i can, and it is predictable that there will be someone that will crack DX10 and port it to linux...... :naughty:

15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

already running it, yet to come across any problems at all really...the only thing that seems to crash is msn messenger...so not the end of the world really. Only driver trouble i have is with my soundcards game port. vista business is what im running, legit too.

16. LCHolmes

LCHolmes What's a Dremel?

yeah got my vlk disks for vista business this morning. I might upgrade not sure when though as i would go for the 64bit ultimate edition and i am not sure about avaliability of drivers for my linksys w300n card if anyone has any idea about this lemme know :)

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

out of interest what problems have you had?

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

The biggest issues have been driver related, but better drivers are arriving weekly.

Running x64 means that I can't use many common utilities because they don't have signed drivers; again, that will be sorted over time. E.g. I spoke to the author of speedfan, and he's saving up for the right kind of certificate to get the x64 version of speedfan working.

Then there is the issue of familiarity; some things are done differently, but it's largely intuitive.

I haven't got my head around UAC. It's very much a PITA at the moment.

19. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

I'm keeping XP and Linux at home for the moment, but Monday I pick up my new work laptop with Vista installed.

Guess I'll have to see how it goes.

20. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I figure I'l probably wait for it.

Tags: Add Tags