1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zune boss steps down

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 1 Feb 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

"Welcome to the social", J?

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

zune is pretty much doomed to hell.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's been released?

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

If he was sent in to make this a success it seems a little late: The product is already out - unless there's a hardware revision (or massive firmware upgrade) all he can change is the marketing or support. Expecting either hardware or firmware changes would lead me to think that (if I wanted Apple's near monopoly in MP3 players to end in a near MS monopoly) I'd be better off waiting for those changes.

As things stand now my current MP3 player is made by Sansa and is not ever likely to be replaced by one made by Apple or MS.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Not in the UK it ain't. Glad they've finally realised it's not doing as well as it should/could be and have reshuffled the operations a bit, maybe we'll see the device reach it's full potential.

<A88>

7. casey_cole

casey_cole Minimodder

"How about what would make the Zune a worthwhile product for you?"

Well, if I'd heard of it - that would help :p

Seriously - the only places I've heard any reference to the Zune is Bit-Tech...

CC

8. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Hmmm... number

1) release the damn thing outide America

2) make the wifi functions a bit more worthwhile

3) remove buttons, make touch screen, make screen larger (ok, that's kind of 4 and 5 as well)

9. tuteja1986

tuteja1986 What's a Dremel?

Get rid of the wifi drm and also add more feature to wifi then i will buy a zune.

10. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Change the name to "mPod" and apply for patents to features MS stole (just look at BlueJ or the whole "Modular OS" thing).

L J

11. Vonpo

Vonpo What's a Dremel?

The Zune wont come to Europe until MS see's that they have a significant advantage on the European market, which is a lot harder to enter compared to the US. I'm also guessing that they want to fix all the baby problems(Wifi) before shipping it to Europe.

Plus, Allard might just be the right guy for they job just as the article say's. For now we can just wait and see.

12. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

everyone that i know who has touched the Zune loves it. i own one and it is way better than my ipod ever could be. it is just depressing to see the apple media machine eating the zune for lunch because by specs alone it is far better than the iPod. i would recommend those of you in Europe to go to the store when it comes out and take a look at it. actually hold the device, surf the menus, and see for yourselves how magnificent this thing really is. in the mean time i am glad that they put Allard on the job. i really hope that he does a better job with the zune. :thumb:

[EDIT]grammatically exhausted for today[/EDIT]

13. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

i have a zune its great

14. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I also have a Zune. Its a fantastic piece of kit. And I'm so glad they didn't bother with a touchpad. The wifi could have better functionality though, like act as a UPnP device or something. The software isn't too shabby either, much better than Sonicstage my old Sony used to use.

15. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I think the most important change to make the Zune successful would be to ditch the 3x plays policy and use only a 3day policy. Deleting of shared music cant be removed altogether due to the whole piracy thing, but limiting a song to 3 plays is just too restrictive. Then I think MS needs good marketing for the Zune to succeed. I think the main reason the iPod is successful is definitely not for it's features or value but for the fact that it is a clean looking device and everybody and their dog knows what an iPod, iPods are becoming a status symbol.

In my opinion the top reasons to buy an Apple product is because they look good (which is debatable) and everything Apple does is revolutionary (like the Mighty Mouse. :wallbash: ). Apple products will show everyone you know your technology, your smart, hip, and the iPod will make your sex-life amazing. :wallbash: Lately I really despise apple. . .

L J

16. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

by time allard gets to doing what he plans on doing, apple will have released gen6 ipods. zune had its chance, i think sandisk is the only competitor that stands a chance.... they just need to release a harddisk version of the e200

17. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

I too have a zune, and I love it. The screen is nice, and it has a very nice feel in your hands. The sound quality is better. With proper firmware upgrades, and a whole new platform (non toshiba gigabeat) I think the Zune will be able to win over a large share of the market. The more kids that have them the better, if kids see that a bunch of other kids are getting them, then they will want them. (Or in otherwords, apples marketing campaign, too bad no one uses their comps....LOL)

18. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

What's a Zune??

Something must've slipped my attention :worried:

19. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd point them out.

Tags: Add Tags