1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jobs wants DRM-free online music shake-up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Feb 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Go Steve! Saw this on the news this morning and had a double take!

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Same here, had to listen carefully to the radio when I woke up.

The 'Discuss in the forums' link just takes you to the forums and not this thread, is that intentional?

4. DougEdey

It#ll be updated as soon as the boys get round to it.

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Sacked!

:D

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

sorry, I was driving to the office :p

7. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I heard this too on Radio1 and was pleased that it is getting the publicity it needs. The idea of iTunes being compatible with all MP3 players and mobiles is great too.

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I'm not quite sure how Apple will cope with their propietary music ecosystem being split up to be honest...once people realise they can use their beloved iTunes (which I can't say I've have the best experiences with) alongside other MP3 players the iPod might suffer at the hands of more able competitors. Having said that, I think it's a good gesture and Steve's certainly got the right idea :).

*washes mouth out with soapy water for agreeing with Steve Jobs*.

<A88>

9. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I heard this on radio 1 also. I don't understand why Steve Jobs was pleading to the record industries, did they force Apple to put drm on their iTunes music store content, or stop people using anything but iTunes with their iPod?

It's all good news though, with the power Apple has on the digital music industry, this should spell the end for drm within this sector. Now just for the film industry..............

10. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Sacked for being late! :D

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

DRM is one of the reasons I don't use iTunes (that, and the fact I refuse to buy into the iPod phenomenon). If they get rid of DRM, I'd be able to use my phone to play iTunes content - pretty sweet.

However, pricing is still an issue imo...if I’m buying a load of 0’s and 1’s that don’t come with physical media/packaging/artwork (etc), I want a decent amount knocked off, not just a few dollars.

12. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

apple made a good product (the ipod) and made a piece of support software for it (itunes) if you dont want to use the two together, thats fine. just dont buy an ipod or use itunes. wait for someone else to make an mp3 player you like more. i think its crap that apple should be required to let other players use itunes, or make the ipod work with other software. besides theres also some shady software out there to do waht you wish.

13. DougEdey

There's no need to apart from financial sense, Apple know that they aren't going to be able to get everyone to buy an iPod but iTunes is a very VERY good piece of kit, I'd use it if I didn't have a Zen.

14. quack

quack Minimodder

This story is HUGE. Let's just hope Steve follows through. Come on, put your money where your mouth is!

15. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Well thank **** for that! At last a key player in the industry has the balls to stand up to the record companies. Go Steve go, indeed!

Take note Mr. Gates, you're behind again. :rolleyes:

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Mr. Gates should imitate this man!!!! go Gates go!!!!

17. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I'm dreaming of a world where Apple gets the ball rolling and suddenly everyone can buy their music online for a decent price and play it wherever they like.
    Then so that they don't get outdone, M$ scrap DRM in Vista and concentrate all the resources they spent on developing pointless DRM etc into making the OS more secure and reliable.

Shame its just dreams but I can still live in hope... :)

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Until Apple drops DRM this is all just rhetoric, But I do like the sound of it.

19. randosome

randosome Banned

he fails to mention that so far DRM has been completly pointless anyway seeing as (as far as i know) every DRM scheme has been cracked anyway so their just wasting money trying

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'd like to see DRM go away but -

As long as we feel the need for locks on our cars, homes, and businesses the music & movie companies will feel the need for locks on their business.

Tags: Add Tags