1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista WHQL graphics drivers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Feb 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

good!

but im still waiting for my 7900GT SLI driver ;) i want to play SupremeCommander "the way its meant to be played", dammit!

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

good news indeed.

4. randosome

randosome Banned

its about time .... but the 7 series really needs SLI support considering all those 7950's are screwed atm

5. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

nice to see amd ahead of the game! rally puts a dent in nivada's reputation the way that they can get their drivers out before the launch day and nivada users have been waiting for a while
    shame

6. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

I'll play "Fanboy's Advocate" for a second: Perhaps it just shows that nVidia spent more time on hardware development for existing systems (DX10-capable hardware, that runs quite perfectly on XP), while AMD/ATI were slower with their hardware so they could develop "future" (Vista-ready) drivers sooner.

Really, I think we all wish that we had the best of both worlds -- new hardware developed as quickly as NVidia did with the 8800, and drivers developed for Vista in a timely fashion as AMD/ATI is doing.

On another note: I've heard bad things about ATI's past driver development -- but my only point of reference is an ATI HDTV Wonder TV-tuner card I got a few years ago -- Anybody wondering if there's an AMD influence on how quickly ATI's drivers will be released (perhaps the AMD management pushed for it?)?

(Regarding the HDTV Wonder: ATI was terrible with the software development, actually having software updates that introduced bugs that ruined the TV-watching experience, and then taking several months to release an upgrade that actually fixed the problem. During that several months, I was in constant contact with their tech. support, and they had me installing/uninstalling/reinstalling their drivers (and upgrades along the way that didn't fix the problem)...each of the uninstall/reinstall processes took about an hour and a half because of the way the drivers were set up (several files to uninstall, with manually deleting files, and several files to reinstall, including the need for the original CD). They wasted tons of my time, finally released a version that worked better, never pointing out that it was indeed something they changed that caused the problem in the first place -- implying instead that I was going through their 14-page uninstall/reinstall procedure incorrectly.)

7. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Hehe... Nvidia is holding up my vista upgrade too.. I'm not going to play wow unless its at 2560x1600 and I'm not going to buy a 8800...

BTW a pair if 7800's both overclocked to 470 and 1200 isnt enough all the time. Ramparts brings this thing to its knees to about 15 fps...

8. randosome

randosome Banned

odd in IF i used to be fine with like 150 FPS max settings 1680x1050 on a X1900XT
    Never seen wow bring anything but the worst hardware to 15fps

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

They've been better recently thank god.
    I just want some final drivers already..

10. orb

orb satisfying.

2560x1600 is a big size up from 1680x1050

11. bballs91

bballs91 What's a Dremel?

actually 100.65 was leaked on guru3d about a week ago, i posted it here but no one responded.

12. randosome

randosome Banned

yeah but 2x 7800GT - that's like 2x as much memor ....

Hold on, the 7800GTX is the equivalent of the X1900XT isn't it .... so the 7800GT is somewhere under that .. - believable then i guess :p

When it comes to larger resolutions, you need more memory it seems, its not a big deal on the processing power but the memory requirements grow a lot (especially if you want to do AA/AF)

13. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

yup - the 100.65 drivers now enable me to actually play Battlefield 2142 under vista - meaning i'm actually going to use it.

With the 100.64 drivers, it would hardly load, getting as far as the 'loading map/optimizing shaders' screen, then hanging for like 5 minutes before offering me the 'join now' button, then hanging for another five monutes before evntually getting maybe 1 frame every 2 or three seconds.

I now get 25-30 FPS with the same settings as in XP - on my 1440x900 panel, i suspect the only reason i'm not getting more is because my card isn't overclocked under vista - and under XP it goes right up to 654/810. Vista i'm stuck at 500/700. Thats quite a big deficit.

14. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

still no option to disable the double gfx RAM :(

Tags: Add Tags