1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News European PS3 has less functionality than US, Japan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 Feb 2007.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I would swear but you asked us not to...

BTW: We're not paying 40% more, they are paying 40% less then us. We are paying upto 88% more.

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Great!!! That is going to be the last nail for the coffin. 40% higher price + less functionality = i dont pay for sure(and many others too)
    The europian PS3 launch is going to be the biggest flop in Console history

4. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Oh this is great... I just pre-ordered one of these things... and to think, I was going to chuck my PS2, I'm pi**ed to say the least...

5. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Guess who not going to buying a European PS3 if any model. you can get the jap version that should work here ?? iam sure some will hack them soon enough if not.

6. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Everyone knows that the PS3 will sell like hotcakes regardless - the playstation as a brand has a lot of clout, and people seem to trust sony no matter what.

in all fairness, i'd love to see it flop because sony are playing a very nasty, prejudiced game.

7. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

And people claim mircosoft is bad im sorry for gaming sony is the worst company by far at the moment and I hope the ps3 fails miserably.

8. to_fast1

to_fast1 What's a Dremel?

Well i was going to get one to replace my old PS2 which is starting to mess up a bit. But it looks like i will be buying a new PS2 for £50 or whatever it costs now and screw the PS3, i have 45 PS2 games & 60 PS1 games and was hoping to get a new console that would let me play them and some new games. I already have an XBOX 360 and will stick with it until the PS3 gets backwards compatible or it gets cheaper and there are some more great exclusives, but until then no chance whatsoever.

9. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

So their switching to software to reduce the cost, reducing the functionality, but also selling at a higher price. Well its an interesting marketing stratergy to use in the biggest selling area.
    Perhaps I should take out shares in travel companies offering hols to Japan

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

In principle, this is absolutely appalling. I'm pretty disgusted at the price differential to begin with (and won't be buying an EU retail unit on that basis alone), but to offer a cut down unit for a lot more money is utterly scandalous.

In practice, I guess it makes sense - most PS3 buyers who care about backwards compatibility will have a PS2 anyway (otherwise they're unlikely to have a big catalogue of games), and PS2 resale values aren't going to be such that you'll be losing out massively by not being able to sell it on, so I guess you'll still be able to play the incompatible games on your PS2.

That said, for people who have no PS2 but want a PS3, it would be nice to be able to get in on the action in terms of some old school PS2 games, with guaranteed 100% compatibility. And to reduce the clutter under your TV with one unit capable of playing old and new games alike.

Ah well, Sony, this really is a huge mistake. As M3G4 says, this is a nasty game you're playing, and it will seriously affect UK sales. I really hope the PS3 EU launch flops, to send a warning to manufacturers that they can't continue to exploit the EU as some kind of cash cow.

11. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

What a complete and utter joke. There really needs to be some kind of high profile news report on the TV about this. All us techies know what a joke the PS3 has turned into but I fear the regular Joe will get caught up in the hype. Sony really don't deserve the PS3 to sell well, they've cocked up every bit of it but they'll still sell loads if the public believe all the marketing spin.

12. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I'm in us and dont care about ps3 or sony and have sworn off sony since the rootkit bull. But somehow this still feels like a slap in the face. Maybe I just feel the disrespect as a fellow gamer. You guys over there are getting screwed. Dont give them money and bend over.
    *yeah sony, heres your thousand bucks, go ahead and give me that low-end bluray player real deep.thanks*

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

time to import! the PS3 games are region free :)

14. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

i really hope it all goes tits up for sony they really dont know how to look after ther current customers and they are praying the little kids wanting mommy and daddy to buy them one an that is it

15. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I agree it is appaulling but for joe public, they will be ignorant to the point that they wont know any of this.

16. Blackcrown

Blackcrown What's a Dremel?

Seems like a smart move... :worried:

17. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

What is Sony trying with us? If anything I'd boycott their PS3 for the next few years

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

This is total bull**** I don't see how they can do this, its disgusting. I am a Sony fan (purely because of FF), and will still get a PS3 when the price comes down to an acceptable level.
    And here I thought that Sony wouldn't release anymore "look we are screwing everyone out of their money" press releases or anything.
    I think Sony needs new people in the high places, obviously all the money they have been investing in thew PS3 hasn't all gone on the PS3, but into another market, one of a unscrupulous nature. What else could have made them make this many mistakes?

19. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Went into Game the other day, they were doing preorders for £430......

20. Djpuk

Djpuk What's a Dremel?

I would say I am slightly a Sony fanboy and would probably have bought (when the price comes down as seems to be the accepted logic) anyway but sod them now, Xbox 360 here I come, who needs blueray anyway HD DVD will have to do.
    Having seen the consoles side by side at Game On I thought there was very little difference anyway, backward compatibility would have been the key reason for purchase, now that has been taken away for us lowly europeans (or reduced somehow) then it looks like uncle Bill will be getting my cash.

Tags: Add Tags