1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V $1299 4K TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by megadriveguy, 19 Apr 2013.

1. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Looks like PCPER just got hold of one of super cheap SEIKI 4k panels

2. Xir

Xir Modder

...silly me but, there's no content for 4K?
    I mean, for a monitor, OK, but for a TV?
    Do you receive genuine HD broadcasting? Or just 720 like most stations?

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Do games go up this high?? :idea:

EDIT: Answered my own question by actually reading the article!

(yes)

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Modder

Just got to the end of the video.
    It doesn't matter if the TV isn't great, it just needs to be good enough. It might then encourage other manufacturers to get their prices down a bit.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Once Content providers the cable companies and such get in on the act the price will drop fast.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Just looking at the size of those icons and text, I'm thinking how wonderfully impractical one of those 32 inch 4k monitors would be. You'd need binoculars to make anything out.

Hopefully Microsoft and the rest of the gui people sort out their scaling in the coming years.

Still a 1300 dollar 4k tv. That really is amazingly cheap.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Going to be a while yet. We (Sky) can't even deliver 1080p content, let alone 4k.

The only way you'll be watching anything 4K in the next few years is either off disk or downloaded.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

4k content in cable/satellite is a sound of 2020. Right now we are at 1080i due bandwidth constraints.

9. theshadow2001

It really is pants. TV companies are only starting to get a reasonable amount of HD content and we are already at the advent of 4k. And as you say that HD content is only 720p/1080i :wallbash:

10. faugusztin

Unfortunately the bandwidth is seriously limited, while DVB-C/QAM256/10MHz allows the bandwidth of 64,11 MBps, the reality is that in most cases the cable or satellite providers can allocate only around 8-12Mbps per channel. And that simply means there is a need for much improved video codecs (better than H264), or better signal technology which allows them to use the frequency range more effectively (so instead of 10MHz blocks they could use let's say 5MHz and that way double the "capacity"). And this won't happen overnight.

11. theshadow2001

Perhaps the only viable medium in the future to transmit 4k (even the interlaced version) is the internet. Netflix isn't exactly very capable when it comes to HD. Youtube doesn't seem to be too bad, with a good chunk of 1080p videos and some 4k too.

Maybe they could combine satellite and internet somehow to broadcast 4k.

To be honest I'm not even sure how they are going to sell a 4k film on a disk/hard drive whatever, let alone broadcast it.

Edit: turns out there isa one 4k channel in europe

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Europe-Welcomes-the-First-4K-UHD-TV-Channel-320926.shtml

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

[delete me]

Last edited: 20 Apr 2013
  13. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

My sky connection is only giving me 3.5mbs download speed, sometimes when its put to the 5mb the lines good for, within a day the router has crashed and it drops back to 3.5.

So i really dont see the uk ever adopting true high reses for a very long time, if we are sooooo far behind other countries etc.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

It will be a while it seems till we get even 1080p on every channel let alone this 4k. Not sure id buy a 4k moniter sounds like a bad idea at 32inches.

Still think your looking at 55-60inch to really notice the potential of 4k.

15. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Well at least it shows promise, in the sense that it won't be a massive price to upgrade, since the technology is there already.

It's just like HD TV's, people bought into them with very few, (If any) content to watch on them.

16. faugusztin

It's not the 4k bad idea at 32 inches, it's the 32 inches which is the bad idea. A minimal TV size any reasonable buyer should go after is 40-42".

@PabloFunky: No, you are not behind. 1080i is pretty much what most of the world got, and even that in only small rate. For example my cable provider has 16 HD channels from 130, each of them doubling the non-HD variant.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Will take years before uk broadband can stream 4k tv without stoppages if ever in all honesty. 4k tv is 60mb/ sec in throughput even virgins 120 service is only 12mb/ sec throughput.

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Modder

4K streaming will only happen once gigabit internet is the norm, which won't happen for a very long time. Get a move on Google and bring Google fiber across the pond.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

My next TV will be 4K, but I'm not expecting to actually be able to buy one for another 2+ years. This Seiki is certainly interesting, in terms of cost, but I too believe content delivery needs to be sorted out properly, as well as a comprehensive drop in price from all manufacturers.

20. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Hardly worth buying at the moment it will take years for 4k to become the norm, in that time the technology will become better and cheaper.

The early adopters are the ones with money to burn.