1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 12v Amp

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sk8ero, 7 Feb 2004.

1. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

Hi

im looking to make a simple 12volt amp that would run 2 speakers off of a diskman, does anyone have any wiring plans for such a thing or know were i could track down some information on this type of thing.

thnx

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

SGS-Thomson do a couple of ICs for car audio, TDA2004 (10W+10W) and TDA7240 (20W mono, so you need 2)

Datasheets

3. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

hey oli
    how come 12v? is this meant to be portable?
    my advice would be to check out a pair of computer speakers like $10 ones they usually have an amp in them, only thing they are powered off the wall, most likely they run off a lower voltage. If not i have been told not to try and make my own amp, especially if u want good quality out of it. Although best bet would be check out dick smith (www.dse.com.au)

4. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

hey

yer its gonna be portable, trying to make a portable sound system in one of those funky metal suit cases, and need an amp, doesnt have to be 12volt just anything thats low in voltage.

5. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Actually making an amp out of discrete components give quite good results. For some reason, I dunno why, component amps like the TDA's listed above usually have distortion above what you can make out of cheap, easy to find parts.

6. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

would u know how to make one of these amps?

7. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I'll see what I can dig up. But im gonna need a lot more info. Like what the speaker impedence is that you want to drive, how many watts you were hoping for, where you're getting your 12V from, i.e. is it a battery and how important is efficiency. Also if you are using batteries, is there a way you can reconfigure them to get a positive and negative supply, i.e. use two 12V batteries to get a +12V and -12V?

8. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

hrmm id be interested also been waiting to build an amp for my headphones