1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 12v car thingy to molex

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Isuo, 6 Nov 2004.

1. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Hi all! I know this has been asked before, and I used google before writing this, but I never found a proper answer. So here is the question: How do I wire a car accessory lamp, that goes to the 12v 'hole' with a molex?
    I hope someone understood the question.

2. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

well you would just cutoff the cigarette lighter adapter and then put the 2 wires into the molex (dunno which wires/spots in the molex)

your gonna put a light? i had this idea a while ago and people said it would raise your temps because its a light, just buy a coldcathode kit at svc, coolerguys.com, or pctoys.com there only 5-6 bucks

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

u want to connect a car lamp (that uses the cigarette 12 v plug), to your computer, powered true a molex?

Np at all.. deadeasy.. take a normal molex plug (female),ad connect the yellow and black wire to the Plus and Min of the lamp.

good luck
    L

4. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya its simple, the only thing is it can effect your temps but ya if you dont wana get a cold cathode than its cool

i wanted a car lamp because i couldnt get a cold cathode online, but now i can

gl

5. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Ok, thanks! I think I'll be able to do that. About the temperature, do you mean that the bulb rises temperature or the connecion?

EDIT:Umm, as I'm not any technical miracle could someone tell me, witch one is the earth cable and wich one the 12v cable, cause I have two wires, and the other wire has a black stripe on it. With my logic I would say that the wire with the black stripe is the earth one, but I'm not really sure.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2004
  6. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Sorry - I edited my post while you were responding to it!
    Answering your question, yes, the black striped wire is probably ground.

Does the lamp you are connecting using a standard car light bulb and have a plastic housing? If so, you don't really need to worry about the wiring - normal light bulbs are polarity independent, and don't care whether the wires are back to front.

7. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

The base colo(u)r for the wires is white.

8. The Bodger

I've edited my previous post to answer the question while you were responding to it (sorry!)

One other thing to add - if the lamp still has its car plug connected to it, look at the connections. The wire that goes to the 'pin' on the end of the car adapter will be positive (+12V) and the wire that goes to the springy connectors on the side of the plug will be Ground (0V)

Although I removed it from my previous post, I still recommend you get a miultimeter - they are worth their weight in gold once you start fiddling with electronics. :thumb:

9. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

No problem.
    With this: and don't care whether the wires are back to front. Did you mean with that, that it doesn't matter wich way you plug them? And do yo uknow what kind of damage could it do if I connect them the wrong way, cause the wire going to the 'pin' is the wire with the stripe and when I originally bought it for my dad, it burnt fuse of the car, so I'm pretty worried, and I might even buy the multimeter to be sure. Sorry about the long sentenve

10. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

if it is a classic glow bulb it doesn't matter witch way you connect it to,

if it is a load of leds , just test it , a few seconds in the wrong direction wont do anything, just make sure your pc isn't doing anything important when you test it

11. The Bodger

If the 'bulb' in the lamp is something similar to this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    then it should be fine to connect the lamp either way round.

If, however, the lamp is anything like this...
    [​IMG]
    then it would be a bad idea to connect it either way round.

The fuse in the car may have failed for one of two reasons:
    1) It was not rated high enough (Amps) to operate the lamp.
    2) The lamp may have a short circuit. The only way to test this is using a multimeter.

If you want to test the lamp without risking damage to a computer, you should be able to make it work using eight 'C' or 'D' size batteries connected in series:
    [​IMG]
    or you could use a car battery to do the test. This keeps your computer safe while testing the lamp. If you had a multimeter, at this stage you could also mesure how many Amps the lamp draws, so that you could check your PC power supply was powerful enough to operate it safely.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The only thing to watch with a filament bulb is the bulb-holder. If the holder has exposed bare metal it could be linked to the bulb ground side, so get the wiring right, otherwise if the bare metal touches the case, sparks will fly... :eeek:
    Erm... what wattage is this bulb? A car headlamp bulb could be a tad OTT. :confused:

13. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

One thing to remember is that cars aren't 12v with the engine on. Typically they are around 13.8v that way the battery stays charged. So be careful when you hook different 12v things up to it. Plus the voltage can get some nasty spikes. A lamp will be fine, LEDs will be fine, especially if you do the calculations for 13.8v and undercurrent them a little bit.

EDIT: Doh, umm yeahoops wrong way round... Yeah well watch out in that case the item you are hooking up dosen't draw too much current, small lights should be fine, however something like a headlight bulb will draw a lot of current. So watch out for that. It's all about the amperage, and in a car 15A is nothing, and in a PC 15A on the 12v line is pushing the PSU really hard.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2004
  14. The Bodger

I think it is the other way round - he wants to wire a car lamp to a PC power supply.

15. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Sorry to go OT but I have two lamps like this:
    [​IMG]

both from tourches, They seem to have inverter circuits but I cant remember. What are the specifications for these usually? I assume they are like CCFL tubes but lower voltage?

16. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Thank you for many answers, that were really, how-to-say-it-in-english, buildable. And as no one said that the psu will explode if I connect them the wrong way round, I think I'll try both ways, and see wich one works. THe lam I have is a snake light for map reading, but ConKbot of Doom iprovised me by mentioning the car headlight :naughty: . But before I start even to think about that, I'll buy a multimeter.