1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 12v mboard plug

Discussion in 'Modding' started by peteone, 1 Mar 2005.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Anyone know what the name of the square 12v PSU plug that goes into some motherboards is called? Just Im looking to buy one but not sure what its called. Also does anyone know what v wires go where in this plug? Ive got an old PSU which Im wanting to use but it doesnt have this 12v plug on it so my idea is to just chop one of the molexs off and rewire to this new square plug. Anyone know if thats possible?

Not sure if this should be in modding:worried:

Cheers.

2. zz300

zz300 What's a Dremel?

ATX +12V, don't know what it powers, nor whether you can provide it from elsewhere.

3. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Ahh, cheers thats exactly what I needed. looks prety straight forward:dremel:

Ta.

4. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure that's the P4 power plug, used to power something on a P4 processor presumably. Not completely sure though.

5. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Yeah I was asking the techie bloke at work the other day and thats what he said, but I have them on both my socket A board and 754 board. Ive just set up my 754 board earlier on this evening and it said in the manual I had to connect it.

Ta

Pete.

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

P=IV

thats the begger responsible for those extra wires.

while it was introduced, in the 'P4' update of ATX, its used on virtually all.

i have a dual XEON system, each CPU can take about 80whatts.
    so 160=IV

take I to be 12 or 5, it depends on the mobo this as most of the voltage control is now done by the mobo, so the 12v header was provided to address the need. The current becomes very high, and as such you need a hefty power supply, a wire that won't get hot.

this is even more important on the motherboard.