1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News G84 and G86 graphics cards pixellated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Any word on the price?

3. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Any word also on the 8600 ultra? I really like the idea of a midrange card but the 128 bit bus really angers me. Will the core and memory clocks make up for that deficiency? :confused:

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

AFAIK they changed the Ultra to GTS.

The card with the black PCB looks exactly like the 7600GT Diamond :eek: Also the HDMI-system with the external loop for the SPDIF is similar. There's an image of the 7600GT if someone wants to compare the differencies http://metku.net/index.html?path=reviews/7600gt/index_eng4

I'm really looking forward to seeing the performance of these things.

5. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

those making HTPC's are probably dancing around right now over the 8600 with HDMI :D

With most who build HTPC's using an add-on soundcard anyway, it was a smart move to have a plug for the audio rather than adding a complex and potentially messy sound processor to the card.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Well with digital output it doesn't make too much of a difference what sound card you're using. The bits either are or are not, there shouldn't be any of the problems we've seen with cheap analog onboard-solutions. The differencies are mainly on THX/DTS/whatever-sector..

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Some early 8600 benchmarks:

http://www.fx57.net/?p=501

Unless the 8600 is around £130, the performance does not seem that impressive...

8. Bluephoenix

what I meant by potentially messy was not quality, but another potential weak link that might have made for some driver issues.

Also those with no soundcard will be using the onboard audio so why should Nvidia/etc complicate things by adding their own processor to an already new concept/hardware configuration?

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

That 8300, is low profile, yet has a heatsink extending above it? Well its not low profile then is it? Looking food though. May just have to get one of those HDMI 8600s for when I build a HTPC.

10. Mathmarauder

Yea I really want these to perform well, if it can play Age of Conan, Hellgate London, and UT3 I will be happy.

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i would rather use the new amd 690 chipset (intergrated hdmi) would be the better choice for the htpc, less noise, heat and power all good factors for a htpc

12. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I want to see a fair amount of performance out of the 8600ultra or gts (whatever it is), otherwise id rather spend a little more and get a 8800gts 320mb.

13. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

If those numbers are correct I also have to wait and see what I will do when they become available.. Price will be an important factor..

Right now I have a Asus 7900GS 256MB Top Edition (slightly faster then a 7900GT), so bassicly all a 8600GTS will give me is DX10.. No performance gain, unless offcourse games run faster in DX10 then DX9.. 8800GTS 320/640MB always remains antoher option..

But we'll see.. I'm not in a hurry aslong as there are no DX10 games..

14. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

It should play them but the question is at what res/aa/details thats the big question

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

any news on the price/performance?

16. Mathmarauder

Tim should just apprehend those cards from their displays and test them for us. :D

17. Bluephoenix

well, unless you're playing a game at full res; in which case SLI is an appealing option barring an HDMI 8800GTS.

also with those you can use the 680i chipset and crank up a C2D (or C2Q :D )

18. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

Have they released these?

Hi Guys,

It is now nearing the end of July and I still haven't seen any cards with onboard HDMI / HDCP and SPdif input for sound. What actually happened to the cards from cebit as per:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/03/16/msi_shows_g84_and_g86/1

I am looking at buying a card for my new HTPC and an 8500 with these features would be perfect. I would be grateful for any information on this.

Kind regards,

Phill

19. DarkOne42

DarkOne42 How many PC's do you have?

I have not seen the HDMI card (passively cooled) for sale in the UK. Would be interested in getting one myself if they were around.

Tags: Add Tags