1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Commodore is back in the game!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Not sure if it's just the pictures, but the case you took pictures off just looks tacky IMHO.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Look out, people will start getting incredibly tacky cases. However there is also the possibility of absolutely awesome cases as well.
    I think its great they are making gaming computers that are affordable and not overpriced.

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

As retro as it seems I cant see it working.

Commodore did a great thing for gaming back in the day, but times have changed.

You cannot survive on name alone, and those cases just look cheap. Customized PSU's have been around for a while, as have Case Skinz. I'm sure there will be a super high premium for these which will inevitably mean fewer sales.

The Commodore generation are no longer "Enthusiasts", I know loads of old Commodore geeks and when I tell them how much I spend on a PC case they laugh, so whats the chance that they will pay for one of these :( ?

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

very very interesting..... it would be awesome that these computers are cheap and game worthy.

6. l0cke

l0cke What's a Dremel?

That black one looks sweet, but all of the others look like junk :(

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

The ability to use the USB / Firewire / front sound ports and close the door - hardly hard to do just placed on the side or top

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I want the Space Invaders one. :rock:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They aren't just skins like you can stick on, they are actually hard coated onto the surface so it's hardwearing and without air bubbles. They WONT be a premium, I was assured of that.

The cases are a little generic looking from the outside but there's going to be loads of designs available to chose from. When you look closer there's been a load of thought put into them.

The whole judgement comes down to cost but what I saw was actually pretty impressive and a nice change to alienware, Dell XPS or voodoo's. You have to be in the mind set for wanting a whole PC for gaming, not look at it from a built your own perspective.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The problem is that from my point of view, case skins don't look any different to these, I saw some of the official press shots in high detail from other websites and they just look like wallpapers. There's not really anything extra special about them.

In a market which is quickly getting a large number of "high end" builders they all seem to be duplicating each others work.

Whereas Falcon NW in the US (and now Kustom) have their custom airbrush service which is far nicer then these "pseudo skins".

Sorry, but that's all they are, they aren't real skins, but they aren't not skins. A skin is easy to duplicate.

11. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

So....they are nothing more than a PC with an emulator? I can't help but to say...WTF? I expected something a little more revolutionary from this.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

But they don't need to do anything more than this; they're selling well-built, customizable PC's for gamers who don't want to build their own system. The fact that they have an emulator with them is only a bonus imho - it's a gimmick to get people to buy it, and frankly, it'd work for me if I wanted one.

I like the idea, and it's nice to see a legendary brand being resurrected, even if it's a far cry from their original glory. :)

13. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Questions: Where's the tape player? Do you have that brilliant screaming noise when loading stuff up? (Or was that the amstrad?) Do you have to type L-O-A-D to boot stuff up? What about the lovely sky blue starting screen? Can you program BASIC straight into the starting screen? Oh the memories.

It's a bit novel but my Dad bought a C64 when I was about 4 and I'm pretty sure he never expressed any interesting in 'pimping it out with some dome rims' etc. So yeah, the people who used and loved commodore probably aren't the one who are interested in the products they're making now.

The burnt-on invincible paint skins is a good idea though.

Tags: Add Tags