1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony cuts UK price on PS3?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Even Gamestation are offering the PS3 at £399 with a movie (X-Men 3). No HDMI cable though.
    Sounds like Sony may have finally caught on to the fact that everyone thinks its far too expensive.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

fixed. :lol:

The problem is, there's nothing really interesting out there which isn't already on the 360 in some form. No absolute must have title (admittedly, neither did the 360 on release but then the 360 didn't have anything competing against it at the time)

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

This could easily be a sign that futher price drops are going to be done in the future. They hopefully realise that £399 is still to expensive, and bring it down to around £300. If the Xbox 360 is that low, and at the minute is a better console, then why are they selling the PS3 that high with it's lack of decent games?

5. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Record breaking first two days? Which record exactly... most indifference to a console launch ever? Most PS3's sold in two days (um, ever)? It hasn't exactly been hard to find one if you want one (or even if you don't), so I can't imagine it's shipped the most units in two days.

/me checks news... so I guess you're right. Delaying the launch and then flooding the market seems to have worked. Sort of. It's a bit of a lame victory though. Months on you still can't get a Wii for love or money, but a couple of weeks after launch and McD's are giving PS3s away with happy meals (just about).

Maybe I'm a bit too happy that the PS3 has tanked. Sony have treated the UK and Europe as an afterthought. Launched late, with a lower spec and a higher price, and they've lumped us with Africa in the region encoding FFS! Anyone thinking of getting one ought to get a Japanese model. At least then you can play American and Japanese discs (which are cheaper generally and launched earlier).

6. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

I feel sorry for sony, PS3 is a complete flop. The PS2 was/is so succesful that I bought one together with my ladyfriend (yes, she likes games! :D) just two weeks ago. They were on sale for a tasty 100 euros, so that's 50 each. Great value :)

Unlike PS3 which is hideously expensive. :rolleyes:

7. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Is a lower price really going to make a difference? not at £400 still drop it to £300 and A few may buy it just because they have one of everything regardless, some may buy because it's a Bluray player (a mistake) and then the Sony fanboys with not a lot of money will buy it.

They need a bigger selling point such as a must have exclusive game, but it won't come now the games developers have to choose to support ps3 and with a much larger catchment in the 360 pool (not counting people with both consoles) why bother developing for the (difficult to code for) PS3. High cost of porting/development and low PS3 users = not much profit. Sony would have to chuck even more money at the problem and pay for an exclusive game, but that's a hell of a gamble.

Also, funnily is all those people who bought them to flog on ebay are going to find it even harder to sell their stock

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I think £350 would be a nice pricepoint.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

someone is becoming desperate........

10. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Hey happy gilmore is a good film.

And yh it was inevetable i think using such an old graphics chip. if it had been out a year earlier it would have been so more up to date

11. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

click was terrible.

12. koola

koola Minimodder

Way too expensive, not enough decent (exclusive) games to even tempt me.

Plus it's supporting a soon to be dead format imo :p

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

OMG for all you guys calling the PS3 "a ripoff" or that Sony is "losing the console war", you are so unbelievably biased/wrong it's not even funny. The truth is this: the PS3 is not meant for you right now at the price it is. It is meant for people who a) have the money b) have an HDTV c) loved the PS2 d) want everything the PS3 offers. I posted a comment on the 360 Elite announcement comparing the consoles side by side with the same hardware (except for the 360 offering a 120GB, but don't forget you can put any 3.5" SATA HD into the PS3 so it kind of equals out in the end) and this is what I came up with (this is true for the price in the US, not the UK, but it still shows what's going on over here):

I know that a bare-bone Elite is less expensive than the PS3 but when you buy everything for the Elite that would equal what the PS3 offers the cost is much more. That's all I am saying, so stop calling the PS3 a ripoff in terms of what it offers, and just like how the the 360 took a few months to get off it's feet, give the PS3 a few more months and there will be games worth getting along with more Blu-Ray movies.

Anyone disagree, please explain yourself.

By the way I am not a Sony fanboy. I do not own a PS3 or a 360 or a Wii. I am a computer gamer at heart, but I don't like it when people start saying things that are so biased that the truth is being scewed at little bit in terms of Sony "losing" or the PS3 being a "ripoff". Yes I agree it's expensive, but it is in no way a ripoff when you look at the overall picture.

14. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I have to agree calling the ps3 a flop is a little ridiculous just because some retailers are lowering the price. I am going to eventually buy a PS3 when more games come out, but even right now the features of the console itself are better than my 360 imo. I'm not talking hardware specs or crap like that, but the fact that the ps3 actually supports a KB/mouse, and doesn't have a crappy overpriced HD, and the PS3 actually has a real optical output not strapped onto a giant propietary video cable. All of these things about my 360 piss me off, for a system thats supposed to be big on shooters wtf are they doing not giving official support for KB/mouse.

15. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

It's not value if you're paying over the odds for stuff you don't need. I dont own a HDTV, but i still want a next gen console. Sony are making me pay for a blue ray drive, even though the tech hasn't settled yet. Microsoft are giving buyers the choice. You don't *need* the wireless dongle either, the xbox has ethernet built in does it not?

So if i was wanting a next gen console a 360 would be the obvious choice as i have no hdtv and there aren't many decent games for the PS3. However, if i wanted high definition movies and a few month wait for some more games then maybe PS3 would be the cheaper way to go.

(i own a wii btw)

16. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Um, yes.

17. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Hints my reason for saying the PS3 isn't worth it to you at the price it's at, and that it's only for the people I mentioned above. I think we all know that the 360 gives the buyer the option to upgrade, but it penalizes them with the price to do that.

Also, Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere. Right now there are more Blu-Ray movies than HD-DVD and there are many more to come. Sony is the Home Entertainment Company of the world in my opinion and I feel it's safe to say that Blu-Ray (though I can't say if they will "win" the format war) isn't going anywhere.

OMG I know that you don't *need* it, but it's on the basis of comparing apples to apples.

Exactly, you don't meet the criteria for the kind of consumer Sony feels will want their console as of right now at the price it is.

Now you're thinking straight. That's what I would recommend you do, given that you don't already own a 360. People need to take advantage of the PS3's features along with it offering more/better games/movies, for it to be more of a "deal" than the 360 in the overall picture.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2007
  18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what i think about the PS3:

It is an excellent console, very powerful, has connectivity like no other, uses non proprietary hard drive and cables, home, wifi..... etc....

IF, and this is a BIG IF, the blueray format loses, the console has a dead horse on its back to carry, Sony has a track record of FUBARing formats like no other, if they FUBAR this one the optical disks for the PS3 will be so expensive that 2/3 of the price of the game you buy is for the disk it self.
    Think of it like UMD and the PSP.... only bigger.

It is the single most expensive console in the market, you can argue that the X360 is the most expensive after you buy all the stuff to make it similar to the PS3, but, if i only want the console to play games? i really don't want all that stuff....... because simply i don't need it.

Another thing i don't like about the PS3, the controller, it is like they got a standard dual shock, striped it, inserted into it a wiimote and voala, SIXAXIS is born, without rumble, you may ask "is rumble so important?" and lots of people will say "yep!", kids that play motorstorm at "Fnac" on the PS3 that is on display say it is awful without rumble and the game is nothing special.

A console is made from its games, if it has crappy games, if it has expensive games, if it has few games it will die.

I bet 5 chocolate almonds that MS will make a firmware update for their console so it can use KB and mouse and i bet that the new 120Gb HD will not be much more expensive, and correct me if i am wrong, it can be detached with the console running unlike with the PS3.

and yes i am a fanboy, i am a fanboy for technology and fun and not for the consoles.

edit:
    http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/games/xbox/the_limitless_xbox_360_hard_disk :clap:

19. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Just thought i'd say...

That'll teach you early adopters :p, a serious slap with a raw fish by Sony there...

20. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

does look like everyon'e unanimously dropped the price, took a wonder around brent X today.

Tags: Add Tags