1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Internet radio stung by new royalty fees

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 18 Apr 2007.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Ludicrous... It's stints like this that will only enamour more and more people to hop onto alt.*.mp3.* to amass, plunder and pilage... Arr!

Christ, the RIAA have fuct up their business models so badly that they simply cannot come up with a realistic, logical model that meets the consumer market given the rapidly changing desire from physical media to stream/net based.

Nothing they [RIAA] can do now apart from stand back with their hands up will salvage any respect or confidence in them. Sad...

3. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

Interesting contracts they have, allowing for increasing fees after the fact.

:duh:

4. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

~These A holes are killing art, they are the art mafia, they are a tax on creativity! Does this affect all mumu, or could an independent radio station get away with playing independent-mu?

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Wonder how many of these radio stations will suddenly move to be streamed from russia...:D

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

So does the RIAA actually benefit anyone? The artists have to put subliminal messages in their songs, the consumer gets slapped repeatedly in the face with a large fish, and the RIAA gets a fat paycheck for doing a job no one wants them to do, and the assassins wont target them as they would be taxed for listening to the music on the way to the job.
    If it weren't for the bodyguards, and the Atlantic ocean between us, I would go directly to the artists and buy their album straight from them.

7. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Pay the artists directly for their work?! Sheer madness... :duh: ;)

8. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

this is stupid. I actually listen to a couple internet radio stations on occation. they have turned me onto a couple bands that I would not have heard on the local clearchannel stations (for you guys across the pond, Clear Channel owns half of all US radio stations now and has made them all play the exact same songs.) I then bought cd's from those bands. This greedy move will only lower profits as only large stations playing the same damn songs will be able to afford to keep running. And then why would I use my bandwidth to listen to the same songs I can hear on my radio?

BTW, the two internet radio stations that I listen to, I checked their sites and both say they will have to shut down if this is not overturned. I really, really, f'in hate the riaa.

I wonder, do the stations that shut down still have to pay for 2006? Because that could put a few people in bankruptcy and really f up their lives financially.

9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Very shocked to hear about this...
    if this goes ahead it will mean me simply stopping listening to new music altogether. I haven't brought a CD in years, except for a few bands i discovered on internet radio. I have internet radio on most of the time when at home, i only have MP3's for my PDA/Phone for when walking to work, but those are mostly recorded internet radio streams too

Heres a pretty good read about the issue, bear in mind this is one of the larger internet radio stations, the smaller the station is, the more crippling these fees are
    http://www.di.fm/blog/read/2007/03/new-music-royalty-rates-are-about-to.html

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if idiocy could be measured this would measure infinite.

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

nooooooo more Pandora :waah:

If this gets passed i'll be a sad kitten

12. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Utterly ridiculous, I can't even understand how an organization that in theory should not be in the RIAA's back pockets can agree to fees to be paid retroactively when just introducing them at all will likely bankrupt most of those involved anyhow ? it boggles the mind.

13. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Un-f*****g-believable. You know, I've been watching Jericho lately (check it out if you haven't already) and it does make me think, would it be all that bad if a couple of dozen nukes took out the US? Then I remember the friends I have in the US who aren't actually clueless ass-munchers and I think, pity no-one's developed a selective nuke... just takes out the idiots in an area. Or maybe somebody did, but unfortunately they were an idiot and didn't realise it, and so got incinerated by their own weapon.

14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I'd like the RIAA to name 1 other business that can get away with charging someone more for a product or service they paid for a year ago without getting bitchslapped. They're living in a world of pure fantasy.

What were there arguments of how this actually helps the artists?

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I have the solution! We form a huge army of geeks and shut down the RIAA!! :D Who's in?

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I'm in.

17. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

this is pretty f'ed up.. i was looking at the DI.fm post the other day (ive listened to them for years) and I was sorely tempted to email my government representatives over this crap :( ...and I still might

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Tbh, a far more accurate title for this thread would be "Internet Radio Decimated By New Royalty Fees". The vast majority of net radio stations, from the big hitters like Soma and Di.Fm, to the tiny stations that only have a few hundred listeners and barely broke even each year, are going to go under here. This sucks.

Tags: Add Tags