1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 supports PSone games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Apr 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I can't say I understood what the issue with it not playing PSOne game was.
    You buy a new console to play new games.
    If you have just spent £500 on it I'm sure dropping another £5 to pick up a PSOne won't break the bank, that's if you don't already own one which chances are if you have PSOne games you will already have a PSOne.

3. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I agree, but does the PS3 turn your analog PS1 games into digital HD goodness? LOL I know, I know, that shouldn't matter because graphics on the PS1 shouldn't matter, it's the gameplay, and I also still have my PS1 sitting in my closet, so I understand where you're coming from on the "you buy a new console for new games".

I had a heated argument on why it wasn't a huge deal that not ALL PS2 games would work on PS3, because the games that would work were the only games worth actually playing on the PS3, all the others were really just novelty. Sony should remember not to say things before they are set in stone or 99.9% there, because it's only going to come back to bite you in the a**.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

To be honest I fully expected this and thought it had already been announced. The fact that it hadn't just gives me another reason to look down on the PS3. the xbox 360 has (most) games backwards compatible and the Wii has gamecube games AND VC.

Then again, I never really liked Playstation. They just seemed cocky to me after the PSOne. Just my opinion.

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

*Exactly* Can't stress that point enough! And the masses which moaned and b1tched that the PS3 [esp the EU version due to missing emot hardware] was rubbish because it couldn't play old, PS1 games really fuct me off.

The PS3 is for *new*, next gen games and media. If it happens to play old PS1/2 games then consider it a friendly feature. But don't slate a next gen machine simply cos it doesnt necessarily play old games. Sad...

6. devdevil85

There are a lot more Xbox games that are BC w/ 360 now, but I wouldn't say "most". I wanted to play Morrowind and PGR1 again and it wasn't BC on 360 :waah:, but o well. Either way, expecting is just like assuming and I wouldn't expect because expectations for anything that you want, especially the PS3, are going to get so high that it's almost impossible for any company to meet them, which in the end will only make it worse. Secondly, what is the reason to look down on the PS3? Sony has filled their promise and it's pretty neat how you can transfer the games to your PSP for on the go gaming. That's pretty cool. Seconly, the Wii pretty much IS a GC, so I kind of expected BC to be easier for Nintendo in that regard. Anyways that's my 2 cents....

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

True, but when the other two major console competitors have BC and the most expensive console doesn't then you have to knock points off for that.

8. devdevil85

Based on that statement you are saying that the PS3 has no BC. How did you draw that conclusion? Secondly, the 360 has BC, but only for like 100 games. Wii again is an upgraded GC so BC is easier to do. Lastly, being a bit-tech employee, you need to review your statements wisely because yours are taken more seriously than any of ours. Remember that....

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Indeed, the X360 has rubbish BC less than 30% of my Xbox games work on X360 which is a shame as some like Soul caliber II were quality and have no equivalent on 360.

The news article here is wrong, PS3 is backwards compatible with all PS1 games and has been from launch without this update, its also backwards compatible with a large majority of PS2 titles from 1.6, I actually played Gran tourismo 2 from PSX on my PS3 the other day as mentioned in this Thread on Bit tech , what this update is putting in place is support for downloadable PSone games playback and the ability to share games and saves with PSP which is a cool thing, end of the day PSX games look pants on large screens these days but they are perfectly suited to handhelds where the PSP res is slightly higher than PSX anyway :lol:

A lot of people seem to think if you hold on to your old games your going to want to keep the old machines but I have traded in my console with each release of the new version as theres still money in them and kept the good games so good BC is important, how many boxes do you want in your front room :eek: , PS2 from PS1 had excellent BC and is the reason I still have a couple of titles, the Euro PS3 is not as good at PS2 BC but I have to say FFXII and God of War II are playing fine bar some flicker on FMV, the only games I have that don't work on PS3 is GT4 and PES6, still a much better experience than my X360 so far.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2007
  10. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Glad you pointed that part out....I thought I remembered that being true, but as I don't have a console in front of me to play with, I wasn't sure.

Shame on bit-tech for getting this wrong. Naughty naughty!

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I don't recall any ps1 games I would like to play again.

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I had alot of PS1 games when I had my PS1 but thinking off the top of my head I cant remeber them. Only ones I remeber are the Formula 1, GTA, Metal Gear Solid. To be honest I dont want to play them again, they had their day.

GTA is the only one i like to play again for its top view action and carton graphics but you can download it for free and GTA 2 from there own website for the PC. Pc was more fun as it had multiplay.

It would be good on my psp but I wouldnt play it on a 40" + HD TV.

13. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

You guys might want to review your article. The Playstation 3 has ALWAYS been backwards compatible with PSOne games. What the update has enabled has been the playback of the PSOne games you can download off of the Playstation Network, which up until this point were only playable on the PSP with the newest firmware and the Playstation emulation software on it (Also on downloaded from the PSN). The PS3 still does, and will for the most part, dwarf the XBox 360's and GC's BC even while it doesn't support all of it's PS2 games (But over 50% I believe).

14. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

I did find it humerous that I was playing Worms (PSOne) while reading that article on the 1.6 firmware....

15. Fozzie

Fozzie What's a Dremel?

I am sitting in my front room now, with a PS3 infront of me, wanting to play Res Evil 1, 2 and 3.. But, I am utterly dissapointed it doesn't want to play them. Wanted to play Broken Sword the other day aswell, not having any of it.

To say that when you buy a new console just for new games is stupid, especially if it's part of Playstation. Once the PS3 was out, I was already a proud owner of the 360 and loved everything about it. I got a PS3 for the pure fact of, I could play old classics as well as really good new games. Also the fact PS3 games look better on my HD TV than 360 (just marginly) but to be honest, if they don't play older games that I loved Playstation for, seriously considering taking it back and sticking with the grand daddy of all consoles, my 360 and then going out and buying a PSX for like 20 quid.

So far, PS3... TOTALLY not worth the money, not that impressed really. Games are a bit pricey and I don't know why, but I feel ashamed to tell people I have one, I feel like i'm sounding quite arrogant.

The main reason I should hang on to the PS3 is the fact of Final Fantasy 7 remake, which.. Isn't even 100% yet, oh and the new Metal Gear Solid game, but that's all i'm really looking forward to.

Oh yeah, I hate the back bumper buttons on the control aswell.. They are too flimsy.

That's my rant over :)

Comments?

Tags: Add Tags