1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Cooler Master GeminII

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Good review... and y'know, don't mention it bending the mobo :p

3. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Yeah I noticed that too.

But really is this not just a step too far? I mean there must be a better way to improve cooling. Maybe another gas/liquid in the heat pipes, who knows...

Also do you have any idea of how the original Intel cooler performs compared to the ones in the review?

PS. What happened to that liquid metal cooler I remember being talked about?
    PPS. what about that Intel water cooler with built-in pump?

4. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Thats what I was thinking, soon motherboards will be made of metal to support the weight of the CPU coolers, but then they won't work because all the connnections will be shorted. Life's a bitch, what do you do?

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

So basicly that's an enormous cooler that's heavy, expensive, requires two expensive fans and then performs poorly? I'll skip that one, thank you.

6. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Don't forget it will break your motherboard aswell unless it is made out of some space age material.

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm still waiting on oil filled desktop cases. :D

To be honest with a cooler THAT big, it had to be simply mindblowingly efficient for me to ever consider it, and it's not, it's not even particularly efficient, so no thanks.

8. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

Will stick with my 9700... That one looks ugly in the extreme, and I don't like the idea of not being able to get at my ram if I should want to do anything with it.

9. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

OMG it's the crushinator. That thing is totally insane.

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I was mighty tempted to buy one when I first saw it in the store. Now I'm glad I didn't. Thanks for the review :thumb:

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Thats ............ I have no words except stupid. Might as well use a CAR radiator lol

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

How would a Scythe Infiniti compare?

I'm pretty sure that it would do better..

13. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I like the large surface are I think it may be able to run passive with a low end cpu (E6300 for example). Would depend on case ventilation though. Although frankly the bent mobo pick gives me nightmares :|

*'inq said that the liquid metal cooling was a pr stunt and could never be made cheap enough for mass production.

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

The "liquid metal" was a gallium based thermal paste; but considering it's expense, and habit of eating other metals, it wasn't happenning.

As to other liquids within heatpipes, Asetek filled their Vapochill Micro units with R404, then had the base be a part of the grid - removing the plate, and often, the poor contact that the heatpipes would have with it.

On the scale of "extremes" this cooler is truly nothing. It may be 240mm wide (and thensome) but in terms of weight and surface area, it falls behind other beastly coolers like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, or their upcoming IFX140.

So yeah, it's possible to make coolers using other materials and methods, it just doesn't seem viable expense wise. As to using inbuilt WC systems, they suddenly become more complex and risky. Flawed units don't just result in noise and heat, but rather in leaks. A few years back i believe it was Evergreen Technology that made a 60mm rad dealie. Pull the tubes, and out spilled the coolant, smelling of alcohol. Would you want coolant all over your hardware?

Perhaps what i'd see as the "best" to-be cooler would be something like what asetek did long ago, but stronger. Have a sort of waterblock base at the bottom of the unit; a grid inside which a refridgerant flows over. Have it dump into 4 massive pipes (much like the 1/2" units on the VCM), which then fly up into a tower, a-la the works of now. Combine it with good (easy) mounting, and you're set.

15. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Fin density looks less than the thermalright which is why I thought it may be good for passive cooling.

16. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Yeah, in almost all the pictures, you can see the motherboard bending severely. Moreso on page 2, I believe.

17. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

As far as the bending mobo goes - i am surprised no skt 775 load spreader is in pictures of parts. was one supplied ? bending of mobo is down to it being bolted down sans loadspreader rather than weight of cooler ? if on supplied for 478/939 then even more needed for 775 imho..

on checking coolermasters site/manual - they seem to only supply a 478/939 backplate - obviously they reckon the 775 mobo can take the strain when screwed in place - even if I was happy with that (I wouldn't be) its still likely to be stressed as in the picture for a short while before fitment & I often want to run mobo out of case anyway. seems like stoopid peny pinching to me.

Last edited: 26 May 2007
  18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

When I first noticed this on the mainpage, I honestly thought Cooler Master had made a stand-alone waterblock and radiator combo. Judging from the temps, it might have actually worked better if it was a water-based cooler.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

There is one on the way :thumb:

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Tags: Add Tags