1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Church in trouble over PS3 attack?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Erm whats the Pope got to do with it, it's the Church of England that's complaining.
    And as to the game being released last year, it wasn't in the UK, where last time I checked the Church of England is based.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Doesn't matter where the Church is based and the release date in this country. The fact that it was released last year is true, there is no region stated for that date.

4. whisperwolf

however as according to Sony importing a console into the UK is bad, there is no way the C of E could have played the game till this year, so complaining the church is late to start this case becasue the game was released last year is a bit unfair.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They could have easily flown out to the US to play it or a parishioner could have played it and informed the church, I'm not saying it's fair to say it's late to start the case, but the way you made the second line of your post sound was as though you were accusing bit of stating a fact incorrectly.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Exactly what I was about to say. Henry VIII would be turning in his grave to hear that the Spiritual Head of the Church of England was the Pope. It's the Monarch - so Queen Elizabeth II. The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church. They're two very different things - enough Britons have died in the past because the monarch was one or the other and didn't like dissension. And we've been to war enough times with the rest of Europe, too. Spanish Armada, anyone?

7. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

In my opinion this just shows how much the religious community is behind the times on such modern entertainment. The game has been available from American since the end of 2006, and for quite a few months in England.

Does it normally take them that long to ask for a donation? ;)

8. thermalnightmare47

thermalnightmare47 What's a Dremel?

exactly what i was thinking if they really had a pain about and really cared about youth culture then they (the church) would have picked up on that soon after it came out in the UK or anywhere else and also the fact is that the church itself is a building nonetheless and they can't press that the game has a copyright infringement featuring the church...so to me it looks as if they(again the church) just doesn't like sony...lol

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Here's an idea - if it offends your religious sensibilities, boycott the game. There is clearly no copyright case, and I can't see it standing up on any other grounds either, but as a publicity stunt for the game, it must be working a treat! Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't put it past Sony to have made a generous 'donation' to the C of E and asked them to spark off this whole debate to generate news coverage.

10. whisperwolf

Erm did you quote the wrong part of my post? If not how does the fact that the Pope is not the head of the C of E show that the religious community is behind the times?

And actually having witnessed a few church meetings, their coming to a decision in less than a year is quite a miracle.

11. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Hopefully Sony doesn't give in on this and make a "donation". Or if they do, 50p into the donation box should suffice. :)

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Above posts are right - the pope hasn't got anything to do with it since it's the church of england. My bad (My a-level RE teachers wouldn't be happy).

I've also added a link indicating who exactly is critical of the church for being late on this issue.

On that point though, i'd imagine that the church would have known about it before the game was released anyway. Sony has attempted to get all possible permissions apparently and would have had to get detailed source photographs at least, either of which would have involved letting someone in the church know.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Excellent question. I think the anti-Christian brigade just has too much enthusiasm to take the mick at every opportunity.

Yeah - PCC meetings go on forever, and that's in just one Parish! The larger the meeting, the longer it takes them to make a decision.

14. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Isn't the interior of the cathedral only open at the Dean's discretion and therefore not a public place?

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Can't really take the religious objection that seriously - I view most religion as a ridiculous adult version of the imaginary-friend childhood obsession, and a crutch for weak-spirited people.

That said, it is a rather presumptive move to use the inside of someone else's building, regardless of the public nature of it or the copyright situation, as part of a commercial product without either asking or paying. Filmmakers have these sorts of problems quite frequently.

Phil

16. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Your personal views on religion have no place in this discussion, thank you very much.

That being said, I am a devout Christian and I personally have no problem with the use of the Manchester Cathedral in Resistance. The Church is a body of people, not a building, so I think Church of England just needs to get over it.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yours do?

18. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

If you don't like the fact that aliens one day may take over than kill yourself now. Its not like this is a GTA style game where you are required to kill clergy or anything even remotely similar. If I was head of Sony I would tell the Church of England to kiss my ass and not buy the game if they don't like it. Sony is not going to lose any money or any sleep over this I can almost guarantee it.

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

If i remember correctly the COE is a spin off of the catholic church, so as overall brand manager of the mother company maybe he should have some say. I'll stick with my original comment church buildings were built for the people off the backs of the people this in my opinion makes them public buildings, and failing any security issues, makes them fair game.

20. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I was stating my religious orientation, which happens to be very pertinent to the discussion at hand, not my views on religion.

Tags: Add Tags