1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tony Blair tells Sony off

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Who?

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yes because having a real church in the game has driven sales up. All this debate has actually given loads of promotion. Bad publicity is better than no publicity.

I've seen and played countless games with shootouts in churches and (omg) mosques. There should be no big deal over this.

Edit: hahahaha Jamie.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

:hehe:

Blair is leaving office soon anyway - whatever legitimacy he had before his announcement went right down the pan as soon as he started um-ing and ah-ing over when he was going to leave. He's leaving, and as such it really doesn't matter if he pisses off one more group of people.

Oh, yeah - typo:

"...which the Church objects too." - should be single 'o'. ;) Second paragraph.

5. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Jesus ****ing Christ, this is getting really pathetic now.

If they're that bothered, can't they release some sort of Firmware update to change the name of 'Manchester' in the game itself?

I haven't played the game, nor have I ever been on a PS3, so I'm not entirely sure how it all 'works'.

6. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Would that be according to your own law degree, your lawyers law degree? or the gamesindustry.biz article you quoted earlier? If it is even they had the sense to use the wording "It is likely there is no basis for a claim"

Anyway so far it’s looking more like a win win for both sides, Sony's gotten lots of advertising for its game, church has gotten lots of advertising for its anti-gun campaign. And in a week or so it will all be forgotten.

I have yet to work out if it is the Church of England complaining or the local Bishop and cathedral authorities

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

:hehe:

Tony is really good at opening his mouth and inserting both feet. ;)

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Surly if it is so life like etc in there, sony cgi people would have had to go in and take pics etc -- would they not have noticed this stuff???

9. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Needs to learn to keep his mouth shut imo. :p

10. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Jeez tony, wtf do u know about this i mean jeez

Perhaps hes just trying to make sure that his legacy wont be remembered just for breaking up the whole country (note. Scotland's Independence)

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Kudos for the over-reaction guys :sigh:.
    It's not like he made a public statement about it- it was merely a question picked during PMQs this week, and an opinion I personally support.

<A88>

12. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

BANDWAGON, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

"Sony needs to be more sensitive...."

Isn't this whole, "politically correct" stance going just a bit too far? Everyone getting so afraid of p1ssing off a group/culture/imaginary belief system..

If someone wrote a crime-thriller novel about some horrible serial killer who only "killed people in churches" and the author used real locations/landmarks as the backdrop -- would that get the same attention and spotlight? Would the PM feel the need to comment?

It's just a *video* game. It's *not* real... Why can't these weak minded people see that...?

14. macroman

macroman The One

Sony should change the location to the House of Commons. After all that place is full of murderous bastards. :grr:

(IMHO) :worried:

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Hardly a scathing attack on Sony, more like the PM diplomatically answering a question at PMQ, he seems, to me, to have taken the middle road.

Edit: Just read <a88>'s reply, a point well made, which I'd like to echo.
    It would help if some of you guys posting in the thread took the time to either watch PMQ or read the transcript to understand the statement in it's full context.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well said Yoda, hardly the vicious assault on Sony, just a call for people to be more sensitive to other people's feelings regarding things like this. Let's face it, setting a shoot-up inside a real church in-game is quite distasteful.

17. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

^what he said

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Naughty Naughty Sony, should be ashamed of your selves :D
    Get in there Blair! :thumb:

Sam

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well, this is all too little too late, even if the game is pulled or theres a patch remove the link between manchester and the in game cathedral. Theres been so much press about this, that every man and his dog knows about it now. Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted (or however it goes) is the saying that springs to mind.

All parties should just give it a rest, they're all making themselves look like idiots. Whats done is done, and getting a "large donation", or the game being pulled from the shelves isn't going to change the fact that it's been done, and that changing it, won't actually change it due to the masses of press coverage.

I don't really see how it's any more distasteful than a shootup anywhere else that has ever existed, will ever exist, or exists only in fantasy. And it's certainly less distasteful than a real shootup or bombing in a church. But then, I'm not overly religious, but if I were a Christian, I'd find a church no more a symbol of god that the house I'm sitting in or the tree in my garden.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is getting rather interesting...... like a circus with deformed people and animals......

Tags: Add Tags