1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Net radio will protest on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Good; but will it have an effect on the RIAA?

H.B.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it will have more effects on people than on the RIAA, this will make people more aware to the serious problem and make them act. One question: does this new regulation affect internet radio stations outside the USA?

4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I believe it's an American thing only.

Also, you can add www.di.fm to the list of webcasters that are observing the day of silence... this really sucks :( I really need to call my reps and voice my opinion.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Yep :(

6. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

What is with Tuesday? There are so many protests lately and all/most of them have been on Tuesdays.

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

i guess b/c people arent as pissed off on tuesday compared to monday and having to go back to work. Honestly i cant wait until i move out of the USA so i dont have all this political BS.

9. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I just shut down my podcast's website for the day in protest.

What bothers me the most is a quick breakdown of current performance royalties that are paid by the various radio mediums:

Broadcast Radio ($20 billion/year): 0% of revenue
    Satellite Radio ($2 billion/year): 7% of revenue
    Internet Radio ($74 Million/year): 58% of revenue

The Internet Radio Equality Act, as best as I can tell, proposes Internet Radio to pay $0.0033 USD per hour of music per listener or 7.2% of revenue, with a $500/year minimum.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

The Copyright Royalties Board has already passed law that goes into effect July 15, 2007 that will charge a flat rate of $0.009 USD per hour of music per listener with a $500/year minimum.

Because many online radio stations do not make much revenue, this would cause them to go bankrupt pretty quickly. I still agree with a $500/year minimum with a 7.2% of revenue fee to pay artists, because I like supporting artists, but I think taking away the revenue-based fee system will kill many stations.

Fortunately the radio station at my work does not have enough online listeners to exceed the $500/year minimum, but that's probably because we haven't been promoting our MP3 stream yet. (not many people want to stream Windows Media, including myself)

So, while our station's stream isn't in danger yet :), somaFM may not be around much longer. :(

Tags: Add Tags