1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Video game addiction not a disorder

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 25 Jun 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

And it really needed experts to tell us that?

H.B.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

So if it's not a mental disorder, what is it? I say it affects your reasoning, your self control and your co-ordination .

4. PaulM@Scan

PaulM@Scan Retail Sales Supervisor

You can usually tell when I have been playing games on the state I turn up for work in the morning or anyone else, Games are similar to an alcoholics beverage except you tend to improve through a game rather than deteriorate after hours or drinking :D

5. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

??? I'm no native speaker ... but does that make sense?
    ed: Gambling is not cited in the reuters article ... so how did it get into the bt article? http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2425415820070624?pageNumber=1

... Personally I've always put it on the same level as Gambling Addiction, though I don't know anyone who's life has been criticially ruined by it.

-btb-

Last edited: 25 Jun 2007
  6. PaulM@Scan

PaulM@Scan Retail Sales Supervisor

When you mix both Gaming and Drinking then it becomes Fun!

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

OK, Gaming is obviously bad for Scan, it induces Schizophrenia

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Hmmz..

To put games addiction (even adding addiction is to much) in the row of other addictions like, alcohol, smoking, drugs and gambling is outrageous.

Gaming is not even an tiny risk (or any at all) compared what alcohol, smoking and drugs can do to your body, neither can it and may be associated with gambling. Unless you buy a game every hour I guess.

Gaming is the second healthy thing to sports. Infact! its even more healthier then sports. Because of the many sport-injuries people can get. I never heart of a broken vinger because of a frantic play of cs. Do you? The only things that get hurt are most of the time keyboards or mouses. (this can acure when someone looses)

Its also a save sport to watch or attend. There are no brainless idiotic hooligans that want to throw bricks at you because you are a supporter of CLAN X.

I play games since pong in 1978. Spent lots of time in the locale arcades. And as a 36 year old i still play games for relaxation from work. Its a real stress releaver. I have played 5 year TFC and 3 years CS and numerous other online war oriented games. I have no guns in my house. I still dont want to kill my neigboors or want to kill people in the shoppingmal or run into a school to simulate quake. I am healthy and have a happy social live besides gaming.

With the long 30 years of gaming history i have, i can honestly say that i dont have any urge / need / must / to play games. Or doing desparete things to even play a game. Unless you find "waiting for the release of a new game" addicted.

What more proof do they want that games is not addicted or turning people into sociopaths. I have 30 years of proof to proof them wrong...

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Cant it?? What about those wow players that died because they were too into the game to get away and rest from it and eat and go to the toilet properly. What about those that call in sick and not got to work because they jsut cant put that game down and then get the sack and loose their house.

I reckon it can be an addiction. I found im addicted to my 360, since getting it ive not wanted to do anything else but to get all those darn achievment points, im finishing work early so I can get my games finished. :) as some point im going to have to do some work as im like 34 hours down on my flexi :p

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

With 26 years of not having the urge/need/must to drink alcohol or do desperat things to get a drink. Im proof then to prove there is no such thing as drink addiction. Same goes for fags and gambling and drugs.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I have personally watched someone go down the gaming addiction path. A guy I shared a floor with at University was a Settlers II addict and nearly failed his degree - would have if his parents hadn't intervened one mid-term break. He played all day, every day and was a wreck in every single way. Now he can't even touch a game for fear.

It seems crazy, but some people do get a fix out of it and I can testify to how much it can ruin lives if it gets out of control.

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

But, is that really down to the game or that the brain of the person had a disorder/reliance on a particular neurotransmitter?

I would have thought that game playing could give the same feel-good, or relaxing state that similar other activities might produce, like playing cards, chess, puzzles for the mental stimulation, or rock climbing, running, race car driving for that adrenaline rush.

Because one loves the *feelings* those activities evoke, doesnt mean those activities themselves are addictive -- only their effects on the brain.

Its not like there's a "video game" playing portion of the brain, sitting next to the "gambling portion" and the "race car driving" portion. It just happens that those activities might all produce an effect in someone that their brain drinks up. And conversely, nothing at all in someone else.

I think an argument that video-games are addictive is only going to push them more and more into a heavily targetted realm of attack and blame for more and more issues that really come down to good parenting (at least when it comes to the under 18s).

14. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

I almost hit that addiction path myself with Counter-Strike (go pro!), but it quickly hit me that I would make more money making such games than playing ever could dream.

I'm no Shaguar, that's for sure. :p (+1 Grades!) There was a period of a good solid 3 months in a 2 year span that really emphasized my lack of caring for anything except getting my aim better and playing smarter. Kind of an oxymoron in a figurative sense, no?

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Im currently living in the same house who on a daily basis is on his xbox 360, the only time he leaves the room is to use the loo, for food, sleep, and to wash, and to go to work. He is also a smoker, but as he's not aloud to smoke in the house, so he leans out the window, and turns the tv so he can still play it. He has even told my mum he wont be going on holiday because he cant afford it, when i blatently can, he just leave his xbox for 2 weeks.

Sam

16. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

this level of addiction will never happen to me as i have the ultimate control method its called being married where every second is monitored and if for any reason i feel i have some spare time to play games alternative things are found for me to do. ( how lucky am i )

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm looking at this from a slightly different perspective. I wouldn't say that video games are necessarily addictive. At least, not nat any more than alcohol or any other object.

I think that there are people with a predisposition to addiction. When he finds the right stimulus the person is hooked, and he'll sacrifice whatever it takes to fulfill that need, be it gambling, drinking, or gaming. He seeks the next euphoria. Video games may be a perfect fit in that puzzle, because they can offer a variety of releases to fulfill your needs. Killing things, completing puzzles, solcializing; you name it and there's a game to provide it. Combine it with the anonymity of the internet and you get the perfect form of escapism.

As I understand it, one of the methods for treating alcohol or drug addiction is to replace the addiction with something healthier, like gardening or exercise. After that, the person learns to enjoy the activity in moderation.

I suppose we'll see a warning label on all games from now on: "Warning: the Surgeon General reports the playing games may be hazardous to you health. Do not kill aliens while pregnant, nursing, or operating heavy machinery."

-monkey

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The arguement here isn't about whether games themselves are addictive or not, they clearly do give fun and joy that some people respond or over-respond to. The issue is; is that 'addiction' to those feelings a condition that some people are mentally pre-disposed towards more than other activities and can such addiction be called a disorder.

GO! DISCUSS! ;)

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i have seen brilliant kids with some of the highest grades i have ever seen turn to shat because of their new found addiction to CS, it ruined their lives... BUT i and many others have played so many games for so long and have yet to become this addicted to one.

20. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i was about to point out the same thing
    on the 1 hand you say its as bad as alcoholism, and then you contradict yourself, whats going on bit :S

Personally, i think its possible for people to become addicted to games as much as it is to alcohol, tobacco, chocolate, etc
    Its mainly the mental component, that are present in all the above that is the problem, and there is no doubting you can become addicted to anything, in your mind

I know probably my (ex) best friend is a video game addict, he started to play wow, and now he cant get off it, since the original beta
    He dropped half his subjects to play it, and has a crappy job to pay for the Internet and his subscription, he failed half his exams too because all he does is play it

If that isn't an addiction, i don't know what is

Tags: Add Tags