1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dave Orton to leave AMD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i find this strange to... i don't know what to make of this... was this merge so damaging? the R600 is far from what i was expecting from it.

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

We need more competitors in the graphics arena. Hopefully he improvises a group to found a successful competing company since he was the COO during the 9700 Pro era.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm interested to see if he had a golden goodbye. It'll be worth watching the business pages for a while to see what their take is on this. Though I think that (personally) it's because of poor team management and to cut costs, I reckon that Bergman has known about this for a while and has been trained by Orton about what to do. Why would you have Orton and Bergman both reporting to AMD CEO at the same time?

Could this be the sign of an imminent big shake up? I think so, AMD (Toronto) are advertising for more Driver Developers (I've applied personally for when I finish my degree).

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Need housing? Contact me.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i sure hope they do

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

hmm i know that intel have plenty of their own people but maybe intel could offer him a role in their GPU department (in which they are trying to grow) this could potentially improve intel's tech and produce the much needed third runner in the GPU market

8. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

that would be like sleeping with your best enemy TBH. and you dont think they have a contract saying that he cant do that??

9. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

It is because he is a baby, just took him 9 months first.

Or he is pregnant.

10. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

It was probably all planed from the start, can't have too many alpha males in a company... he will probably be getting a large LARGE sum of money, hence the mixed feelings ;) leaving ATI = sad feeling, large LARGE sum of money = laughing all the way to the bank :p

11. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

Why Orton would leave, well why did AMD force the launch of the HD2900 XT without independent L1 cache for 320 streaming units and then tell everyone that would listen that this was not done in desperation, taking the X1900 Cache hierarchy and putting it on the next generation R600 but was done in order to target the middle income gamer. Good luck Mr. Orton under your rule before AMD launches may have been late on occasion but at least they where competitive in every segment.

12. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

This is no surprise really, typical corporate action. He has probably seen it coming for a while. Same thing happened to my father....they brought in a young guy with a new title and less pay and once he got the hang of things, bye bye to the older, more experienced and higher paid individual. Happened to my uncle as well, he was in charge of all of ComEds networking and once he got their big mess fixed, they dumped him and hired some young guy to simply do maintanance.

Tags: Add Tags