1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News YouTube to filter out pirated video by September

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Great....... this means that Youtube will only be host to poorly done phone cam clips of irritating little girls who think they can dance and wannabes who are under the delusion they can sing, either that or video bloggers who bore us with their dreary lives and pointless opinions.

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Quite.

I believe this period will probably be remembered as the time a major commercial bloc has ever looked at a market screaming for its wares and said "Eh... no thanks."

Phil

4. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Not likely. If in fact all "copyright infringement" was stopped, lawyers and companies who make their money from lawsuits would not be happy. Lawsuits are big buisiness. I doubt any of these companies really want what they say they want. They want money and these lawsuits make more money than their actual products.

5. Particle Man

Particle Man What's a Dremel?

I just wish the American Justice system would say enough is enough and quit allowing these kinda of lawsuits. It's really getting old, there's no way to stop it.

I saw an article recently showing evidence that, since the RIAA started filing lawsuits agianst people for downloading music, the number of people downloading has actually increased. And by a rather large margin.

6. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

I dont see why they bother, it will be circumvented with ease as any kind of DRM or other copy protection. I think it is time the video and music markets get with the times and come up with something new that doesn't involve suing their own customers.

7. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

As soon as they stop one site hosting pirated stuff, it'll pop up two other sites.

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

QFT - people will always find a way around this stuff, if its not another site, probably just a way to get round the blocking system in you tube (perhaps a watermark on the film would break it ?)

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Bummer. They started cracking down on all the Best Motoring videos... those DVDs are expensive to import!

10. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

Wonder what effect this will have on things like remix clips. I don't have a problem with them pulling down full movies and TV shows, but there are plenty of videos where copyrighted material has been used for backing music, small segments of video. Will this new system pull things like that off?

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If they start doing image recognition on all the files, then that could actually be quite difficult to circumvent. It would also be massively expensive (in terms of processor and storage) to implement.

Phil

12. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

What kind of image recognition could they implement though? Are they going to look for all famous people's faces and then check if they are in the clips??
    I don't see they could do much more than analyse the source of the video.. camera phones and DV video will have a different look and "digital signature" from film.. but with everyone transcoding everything and TV mostly done in DV nowadays....is any of that going to possibly work?
    How are they going to do it?

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

bye bye AMVs, snips of movies and decent videos.... this will be the demise of youtube....

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

"We control what videos you watch. We control where you navigate. We control what shows up on your screen. We control you!" Welcome to the land of the free!

15. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

I can't wait till the day the entertainment industry goes bankrupt and they wonder where they went wrong.

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

All they can do is keep clips of material they want to protect, and do some very, very fuzzy pattern matching on it.

Which is going to cost a fortune.

Phil

Tags: Add Tags