1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nesteq Nova 600W External PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

well.. i dont think that will be a psu many will buy... but, some modders will prolly be happy pants about it.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It's a shame it's voltages ain't much good, because the other problems of cable lengths etc. would be even easier to fix than on a normal PSU. You wouldn't even have to worry about touching a capacitor.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I would agree, yes. :)

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

It could also prove useful to those looking to locate a dual/triple radiator in their case as it would free up much needed space. Too expensive though.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yeah, much too expensive.

The 'PSU outside the box' tactic is one I swear by, though - I'm not a modder at all, but that one innovation made my system run SO much better. Then again, mine's mATX - that could have something to do with it!

I love the design of the casing. A whole PC themed like that would look amazing.

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Wouldn't it be possible to just put a normal PSU outside the box? that would seem like a much better idea, I mean, it wouldn't look so good, but it would have many of the advantages that this have and be half the price.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You'd have to lengthen the cables and really stick something insulated around it to prevent nasty shocks if something goes wrong, but no not a totally unmoddable proposition.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

why do you need to insulate it? This is why we have the ground wire in the AC cable. (your computer case is directly connected to the case of the PSU, so keeping the PSU in the case have no safety advantages.)

10. Midcoregeek

Midcoregeek What's a Dremel?

The voltage is a problem for high power-pc's but how about in a Home Theater PC application?

The lights on the outside and/or shelf space might be an issue... but silent, more room, reduced heat

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep, it would probably work well. Especially for those who can't get away with a 120W dc-dc psu

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I've got the machine in my sig running w/ the PSU (tagan 430W) sat outside the back of the box. The tagan cables made this easier - it's true that you have to arrange it carefully, or the cables won't reach. But my fans now run at about 1/3 the speed they did w/ it in, and I get consistently better game performance :)
    Aesthetically, it looks horrible, though. I'd like to design and build my own case to hold everything better so all the fans went in the right direction, but I "cba".

13. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

i thought about making something like this years back ( when baybuses were an endangered species :) - so when i saw the review it had to be read! Major disapointment as its a good idea - but very poorly implemented, and way,way overpriced for the way its implemented. Actual hardware looks good - but losy package..

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Like I said in the value section, you can't really compare it to a standard 600W because of its completely different market, but it should be no more than £100 imo. Unlike almost every other unit I've ever used that claimed "silence", this one actually achieves it for a change, it just lacks attention to detail and 5/3.3V rails.

15. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

it would be ideal for the SFF market. to bad about the voltages not being stable and the cables

16. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

so its good upto 450W what should do for shuttles qute well i be Very surprised if you can get 300W-400W out of an shuttle type computer

17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

We need to send a message to these people...
    *Great idea
    *Great form factor
    *Great case design
    But make the rail monitor more useful (IE switching from -12 to +12, etc?)
    And make the internals more efficient and ATX-compliant.

Tags: Add Tags