1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New iMac disassembled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Oh that poor, poor system.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Wouldn't that be fifth generation iMac?
    G3 -> G4 lampshade -> G5 all-in-one -> Intel all-in-one -> Intel all-in-one v2.0

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

The Intel all-in-one was still classed as a G5, afaik. :)

5. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Personally I would rather smash it on the ground to open it. Which doesnt always work since we did it in tech adn it didnt break. Of course accidently but nice engineering:wallbash:

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Oh that penny arcade strip is just wrong. Nice to see the insides of the mac though, very clever how it all fits in there.

7. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

As a long time PC user and developer in the possession of a shiny new MacBook Pro I have to say I really really like it. OSX is very awesome, everything so far has been great, from opening packaging to remoting into my windows desktop at work from home. I'm a convert - and I want a new iMac, now, please, thanks.

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Makes you wonder why we don't get windows machines with such wonderful engineering :(

9. Carbon_Arc

Carbon_Arc What's a Dremel?

Call me a skeptic, but.......

It's looks like they've just crammed the Macbook innards into the back of an LCD monitor case. Clever stuff it may be, but i'd be worried about heat and maintenance/upgrades issues, after all isn't that the whole point of getting desktop over a laptop?

I don't see where the iMac fits, it strikes me as the worst of both worlds, a Macbook without the portability, or a Mac Pro without the power and customisability.

But it does look damn sexy, so maybe that's the salient point?:confused:

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Selling point is some people want more power then a laptop, bigger screen, no battery hassle, but without the mahoosive space of a full tower, and want to avoid cable clutter.
    I've used iMacs a lot, and I must say they're quite convenient even though they're completely sealed, but thats what I have my windows machine for right? :p

11. Carbon_Arc

Carbon_Arc What's a Dremel?

That's a fair point.

I guess the engineer in me just wonders why they don't design a tablet style flippy-over-twisty-round-screen Macbook to go on a nice brushed aluminium stand with a nice wireless keyboard and mouse. You get the same effect but with portability when you want it.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What would (again) raise the price...

I'm impressed with how they managed to get all that stuff into such a small case as everyone else. But as everyone else I can't see this happen without running into overheating issues. This one better be far better designed than the 360. ;)

13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

The 360 doesn't have three sunon centrifugal fans. I'd be more concerned about how loud that thing would be...

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

What I find bizarre is why there are no wintel machines like this. All the PC companies are selling pieces of crap that are loaded with shite.
    Where's the nice computer with a nice clean install of Windows?

15. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Stunningly nice packaging to be honest, the design at Apple is still fantastic. It's just a shame there's nothing quite like this on the windows side....

16. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I like the look of this model... they should do a release in black. Black is better than all this horrible, horrible white. Don't understand why some many PC fanboys hate Apple - I think they're products (including the iPod) are great. However, I wouldn't dare have an iPod - still they're a solid company and they're designing computers with passion. Good on 'um I say.

17. naokaji

naokaji whatever

sony has some windows desktops with the same approach...
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089229

all it is, is basically a notebook with the screen mounted the wrong way round (true for both the mac and the sony one)

18. riggs

riggs ^_^

It's a nice bit of kit, but how does the LCD stand up to the heat?

I do like Apple stuff (apart from the iPod), and love the whole concept/history. But I still can't stand the way they advertise their machines, relying on blatant insults and stereotyping.

As for PCs with similar design - there's no point. The PC market is so competitive that expensive, nicely designed computers just wouldn't sell. PCs are generally cheap and cheerful on the outside, but have beasty innards.

19. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

20. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

If you have ever used them when there on a server you would no why my class and I decided to trow it on the ground. They just crash constantly, there good by them selfs though just the game for them really are bad. The fact also it isnt a blue screen its a dimmed out black screen with a big apple in the middle when it dies. An apple come on.

Tags: Add Tags