1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The World of Indie Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

realy interesting article, going to try and download facade if torrent will work!

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just finished Darwinia today, and along with Uplink and DefCon, those are truly unmissable games.

Uplink + Darwinia are on steam atm for $20 - £10 for two of the best alternative games I've ever seen, with MASSES of gameplay too. Darwinia took me about 12-15 hours to complete (properly), and Uplink is longer still, probably closer to 20 if you do it right and don't get caught.

4. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Great article. I'm definitely going to have to try some of these games out. I certainly recommend Wik and the Fable of Souls as well as of course Gish. I really like those sorts of games that require skill and physical dexterity.

If anyone wants to try out my own indie game, you can find it in my sig. :D

5. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Hmmmm, I'm not too sure of your definition of indie games by their innovative content. Why call them indie games if that's what defines them? Personally, I believe innovative content is a common feature of indie games, but not a defining characteristic.

Personally I think defining what is and isn't an indie game is like saying what is and isn't a Web 2.0 website. It's an idea, not a set of rules, so is rather difficult. I would lean towards saying that most indie games are created by people to whom the end is the game, as oppose to the game being a means and the money being an end. Many, many indie games are neither original nor innovative, the only reason you haven't mentioned them here is because they're not as well known. I've played countless sideways shoot em ups or scrolling arcade blasters that are nothing new in terms of content, but are still developed by individuals or small groups simply for the fun of creating a game.

I think THAT's what defines an indie game, the reason behind the game. From super-famous indie games like the actually-quite-overated Facade to forgotten mini games of old, all were made for the sole reason of making the game, or to achieve recognition for making it, as oppose to selling it and making money. The article is also somewhat contradictory, how is Portal not indie due to its development by established developers doing nothing new, but Rag-Doll Kung Fu, which was hardly original or made by indie developers, is an indie game. Personally, I think Rag-Doll Kung Fu is an indie game, but not for the reasons you mention, but because the final end goal was a fun game, and that was it.

Arguably, all mods for games are indie in definition, they're certainly not mainstream, but they are hardly all original or innovative. One of Doom 3's best total conversions, Classic Doom, is actually the total opposite, recreating the old Doom in the new engine. So here's to all the unorginal, none innovative, really quite good indie games you so meanly left out of your article. :thumb:

7. GamingHobo

GamingHobo What's a Dremel?

8. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

9. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

So it appears Joe is done with his non-indie Bioshock ?
    Nice writeup. Uplink had me spend a LOT of hours on it...ahh the nice in-game music !

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That G-Man at the end was scary.

11. Florian

Florian Minimodder

I don't agree with the statement that innovation is what defines an "indie" game.

Studio/publisher-backed and independent developers alike can produce innovative games, but the former are less likely to do so because they have to meet the expectations of the publisher (sales). However, that doesn't mean that any innovative game is an "indie" game, or that any "indie" game is innovative (the vast majority isn't).

I tend to apply the same standard that is commonly used for movies: If it's produced without the financial backing of a studio (publisher), it's "indie".

12. gamester

gamester What's a Dremel?

... Egg on my face... Facade is free... But why use torrent to download it? I looked up Facade and found it to be free, I will leave my comment up so you can see my error :)

Last edited: 30 Aug 2007
  13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Gamester, it's a free game. Torrenting saves them money because they don't have to spend money on bandwitdh

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Dude...chill out, Facade is freeware. Free to download or torrent from the homepage, interactivestory.net

15. gamester

gamester What's a Dremel?

I just noticed, and I was going to reply to my self... Using a peer-to-peer file sharing program like torrent is a red flag to me... Creating Indie game is how I got my start in the industry, so it hit a cord, not knowing that Facade was free...

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's what torrenting was designed for, it saves bandwidth costs.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Cool - send me a PM letting me know who you work for, what indie game you made etc. Maybes we can work on something...

Tags: Add Tags