1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPod nano to get shorter, wider?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Gonna wait for the 6th gen video ipod before i replace my 5th gen one. The thing is that the Nano was the perfect size for the "coin pocket" in most trouser's/jean's so making this wider would go against that?

Im still not too sure about the design as it looks like a gimped version of my 5th gen unit.

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I would imagine that they are trying to get more screen size for video.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The first thing that I thought when I saw the picture is (I wasn't really awake yet) oh, it's April already?

A few seconds later, and damn.

:nono:

5. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

Ugly. I quite like my 8GB Nano - that and the Mini (which I also had) are the only two iPods that I've actually liked. Suffice to say that I won't be 'upgrading' to a new one anytime soon.

Seems silly to change them so soon anyway - they've only been out for a year.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I really hate the look of those stubby iPods, whether they're the new nanos or full-size units. But then again, I quite strongly feel that the iPhone is the best iPod ever made, both in terms of size, user interaction, and interface. I've always thought that the Nanos were a bit too narrow to work well with the click wheel even if the overall form-factor is excellent in terms of portability - the full-size have always been much more comfortable to use.

As an aside, you guys seem to be covering the Apple news a bit more than usual, not that I'm complaining.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

wtf?! When I heard wider and shorter with a bigger screen, I was expecting it to basically be the size / shape of the current 5th gen iPod's screen with a small frame around it, using a touch-screen interface much like the iPhone. That just looks ridiculous, a big ugly square with lots of wasted space and neither the compact slimness of the nano nor the capacity of the HDD iPod. Talk about falling between two stools.

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I don't get why they would want to upgrade the Nano to video.. I've been thinking of getting one because I want to be able to see what I listen to and all, want more memory then the shuffle, but I don't want video or a giant-ass screen nor a fat player -.-

9. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

If that's shorter than the nano then it's still pretty small.. be about the size of a credit card with the end cut off down to the where the chip is... it would still be cool.
    The rounded iphone look doesn't work for me though. Looks cheap.
    However; if it's thin enough to fit in your wallet.. dam! I just might have to get one.

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I cannot BELIEVE the unconfirmed slight resizing of an ipod can cause so much stir. Why do people care? It plays music. It's one of many generations, in one of many styles, and ipod are only one of many mp3 players.
    Sorry to be haughty, but people who think this is important need a holiday in Cambodia.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well hopefully they will fix the freezing clock on title issue that both (1G and 2G) ipod nano (only those) has, which was and is never fixed.

12. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

apples secret plan division
    As leak proof as a sieve

13. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

0.o

If I ever get an iPod, I'll snatch up a first or second-gen nano - that is just plain ugly.

14. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Iriver h120.

If anyone can make a better player, I would like to see it.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'm not selling my 1st gen nano for that ugly piece of crap

16. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

This is a technology-orientated website. What are you expecting, exactly?

In any case, Apple essentially own the market when it comes to the small, lower-capacity MP3 players. When I was looking at getting one (Xmas 2006), the only competitor worthy of a look was the SanDisk Sansa. I was tempted, but in the end the iPod Nano seemed nicer. I'm not an Apple fan by any means, but if they're making the best product in that segment, so be it.

Sadly that last statement doesn't seem to hold true anymore, as far as this new Nano is concerned.

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Your idea of a 'better' player is going to be different from most peoples'. No doubt that being an iriver product the h120 is technically a decent player, but as far as looks and ease of use go, it's been thrashed. Still, dual headphones, line in and fm tuner? Someone should set this thing up on a date with a Zune and see what they make...

<A88>

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Well, the picture doesn't look very official, and I can't believe that Apple of all companies would release such a backwards-thinking and ugly product. Nobody buys an iPod nano to watch videos... they buy it for portability and lots of battery life. If this actually turns out to be the next nano, I would be surprised.

Maybe this is a new type of iPod, a small version of the current iPod video, in between the video and nano?

A flash memory based video? Doesn't make much sense, but people who don't want to spend a huge amount of cash on the iPhone might buy it.

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

it isnt, it says its a rendering in the article
    they cant use the official pic or apple can ask them to take it down

Tags: Add Tags