1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corporations to start using more Google Apps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 10 Sep 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

I set the nonprofit my mom works for up with Google Apps. Registered nonprofits get access to education edition, which gives more than the free version.

Now I just have to get the people to *use* it...

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I prefer to have a real copy on my comp.
    As, if the website or internet goes down, then your kinda screwed.
    Such event is something which you cannot afford when you are a student.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Orly? What happens if you get a virus on your local machine that wipes out all of your work? Or perhaps a house fire that destroys your computer and backups. Perhaps a lockup, or BSOD prior to saving your work?

Having all of your work stored offsite is a huge plus. Then there's the one size fits all browsers, no install of office software (apart from your web browser of choice) required, and the automated saving functions of Google Office are awesomed to the max.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I've tried the free google apps, it'll be a while before it can compete with OO or MS office. The only problem with home users using more online apps, this will get worse as they get more advanced, is the amount of data being sent constantly you'll soon hit you download cap.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Now those are extreme moments. Your acting like this happens everyday. Your scare tactics fails to work on me.

For 1, having 2 partition on the computer reduces some virus attacks to delete files, (as it only thinks in C:\, most of them anyway, form my personal research). Also, remember that I use a PC!, specially with Windows! Anything that is deleted can be easilly recovered with million of free (or paid) utilities. I already accidentally delete data, and able to retrieve them several days later without issue, I juts lost the file name.

For 2, I have backups. If my data was THAT important, I would simply but my disks into a firesafe lock box.
    For 3, fine, let's imagine I get a lockup... if I didn't press save on the web edition of the software, won't I also lose a part of a file?!
    For 4 BSOD.... Sorry I'm very carful when I build my computer and install drivers. I deep test my system. I never had a BSOD since I got my PIII 800Mhz.
    Not even with Vista Beta 2 where it was stuffed with WinXP drivers to make my video card, souncard and have my mobo setup.

Also I do save regularly, and I do have auto-safe. Since I have a dual Core CPU, I realized that most app that crashes and take 100% of the CPU to a point it feels like "it lockup", thanks the the second core, I'm able to kill the app and go on.

If I have sensitive data, believe me I won't allow Google or any other company to have a sneak peek, as they do with my searches. Moreover it would be easier for hackers to hack and grab the data, as they can now simply grab my connection, instead of hacking to by-pass my firewalls and routers and so on, and more effort is required if I was in a company. Moreover, I think that a hacker has a better life then hacking my computer for pictures of my cat.

Moreover, those Google app thing requires a user name and password, which can easily be hack. Something that a company cannot, I don't believe can risk

7. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

We use Gmail where i work (about 40 employees) and its great. Best thing of all is that i don't have to admin an exchange server any more :) Not sure how it would cope in companies with several hundred + employees though.

Tags: Add Tags