1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Sep 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Is pciE backwards compatible?

And I've yet to see a board with a built in steamer for milky latte's...

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That looks like one hell of a sweet board..

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i'd like to see crossfire performance on this please considering its full 16x16x lanes as opposed to the 16x4x of the p35 or 8x8x on the blitz formula a comparison between them would be very useful thanks

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

We'll be looking at that when the chipset officially launches later this month. ;)

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so within 1 or 2 weeks?

how is the temperature for this board? is this heat sink sufficient enough for X38 provided almost all other manufactures are putting half of a junk yard on theirs

7. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Very nice article and a good board although I am surprised that it is only the 2 X 16 slots that are PCIe 2 Is this a limitation of the Intel ICH9R Southbridge ?

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

it doesnt run hot at all... atleast if logic applies.. my gigabyte p35 ds3r (and the p35 uses more power under load than the x38) "survives" without any chunky heatsink / heatpipe stuff.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

check the last page of the review :p

10. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

To me the most important thing to look at here is how the DDR3 seems to have limited the performance increase rather than the chipset, so, as we see DDR3 evolve to the supper low latency stuff we have for DDR2, we should see a BIG jump in performance.

At least, that is what it looks like to me from those results, what do you lot think?

Very impressive board, and 8 (count'em) USB ports on the back? Cheesecake. I love it.

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

hmm, is it still a limit of "10" usb ports for x38 *looks at laptops pitiful 4 ports

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

woodstock, 12 usb for X38 according to the review.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I can't say that I have any major gripes about the layout... which is nice. Would be good to see those SATA connectors at 90* on the edge, though. :( And that many USB ports on the back... :D

14. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Having thought about this board a bit more, I have to say its not a very imaginative implementation

The 32 PCIe 2.0 lines give you the performance of 64 standard PCIe 1.0 lines. So Gigabyte could have taken the opportunity to give you 4 slots @ X8 of PCIe 2.0 each with the same capacity as X16 slots we are used too. Not sure anyone actually manges to max out those X16 slots so should not be a problem. Even 2 X12 slots and 2 X4 would be good for RAID implementation.

Need to think about this a bit more, all we are really seeing is a reworked P965 implementation without thought going into why people need all the power as 2 X32 PCIe 1.0 slots.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im just asking why has Gigabyte used so little cooling compared to Asus or Biostar (the external MOSFET cooler) for X38.

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

because there is absolutly no need for more... even whats on the gigabyte is overkill....

17. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

12 usb? has anyone ever actually needed that many? how many stupid usb devices like a cup warmer do you need to plug in?

18. naokaji

naokaji whatever

1. Keyboard
    2. Mouse
    3. Mp3 player
    4. Digital camera
    5. External HDD
    6. Webcam
    7. Printer
    8. Additional Game cotroller (game pad and the likes)
    9. Scanner
    10. Cardreader
    11. external tv tuner
    12. spare to plug in your usb stick...

so.. if you belong into the category of lazy persons it would indeed be possible to use them all...

19. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Interesting. According to this thread on avsforum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892863 powerdvd downsamples any audio above 16/48 so whether the realtek codec supports hd audio or nor is irrelevant. Besides what has HDCP got to do with the transfer of audio from the app (powerdvd) to the sound card driver/DACs? HDCP is for use over HDMI/DVI. AIUI realtek having hdcp crypto rom would only be useful if they supported digital audio out via hdmi and even then the hdmi specs require that video be present if audio is to be used over hdmi. Suffice it to say I don't understand this part of the article and would be interested to know more.

20. Sprogz

Sprogz What's a Dremel?

I was a little concerned by the statement about CrazyCool restricting the use of certain CPU coolers. Given the size of almost ALL third-party CPU coolers and the fact that many of them require underside brackets to take the strain how are we suppose to air cool the CPU?

I was after this mobo when it's released and already have the Coolink Silentator (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-CL&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821) CPU cooler waiting in the wings for when the mobo arrives but it now looks like it might not fit this mobo as I'm pretty sure it has an underside mobo bracket.

Tags: Add Tags