1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First GPL lawsuit filed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Sep 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. shaq

shaq What's a Dremel?

Good for the SFLC and the Busybox developers!

Is it not enough that the developers put their effort into writing the software, and then giving it away for free?

For the GPL to be effective, action does have to be taken, otherwise we might as well all use BSD, and that won't be beneficial to the open software movement...

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Yay! I support this, they used open sourced code according to a legal license, if they don't stick to their side then they shouldn't use it.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

you can have other sources of income.... and if your code is GPL you are forced to give away the source code, if you don't want to don't register it as GPL.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The point here is that the developers gave their work away for free, why should someone else profit?

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

7. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

This is good for the GPL/GNU developers. Rules and laws are worthless if no one calls "foul" when something goes off track.
    I think that this is pretty ace. I think this situation is exactly what should happen so that companies know that they can't
    just walk all over the "little guy". Now lets just hope they win this case and set a prescedent.

8. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

This is like a community putting up a public park and someone coming in and charging admission to use the swings. Go GPL/GNU and take every last dollar from these leeches!

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

tut tut tut, naughty naughty

10. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

If you build on someone elses GPL product, by default yours is too and so you must follow the same terms and conditions of the GPL. Monsoon haven't done that in this case.

Tags: Add Tags