1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks 14.1 laptop resolutions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keef247, 4 Jan 2008.

1. keef247

keef247 Minimodder

just spec'ed this up seeing as I'd made the previous mistake of spec'ing a CD not a C2D cpu...
    looks quite nice yes? anyway i chose the "14.1" Wide Screen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™" screen upgrade for £35 more... and I just wondered before I go ordering the thing... Is that going to be ridiculous for the screen size even for someone that runs 1600x1200 on a 19" crt?
    I don't want to be squinting... I just assumed the higher the res the better even on a lappy? like is it more spacious but still caring a nice font size ratio?
    interested to see what you reckon...
    if not should i go for the stock res which i think iis something like 1200x800 and just get the True Life screen upgrade? theres £20 difference in the 2 upgrades so I thought it was a valid point... as this could go towards CPU etc...
    cheers

2. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

1440x900 should be very usable. I've got a 14" 630m at at 1280x800 and would quite happily have a 1440x900 one if I could, and that's coming from someone who wears glasses constantly. You shouldn't have any problems, the extra screen space will be very useful.

3. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

surprisingly, my 1440X900 screen seems quite spacious to me,(15.4 inch wide) text reads fine and I'm used to a 1280X1024(not the biggest i know)

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Why make a new thread just because you changed the specs?

If you have doubts about res. just find a shop that sells computers and have a look.

Also; What is "TrueLife"?

If that means that the screen is glossy I would avoid it. It looks great in total darkness, but works as a mirror in a well lit room. (I hate glossy screens)

A monitor with 1280x1024 is more effective than 1440x900. Normally you need more vertical space than horizontal space. Widescreen monitors are basically just usable when it comes to movies and gaming. Too bad almost all models today are WS.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

For real work spread sheets etc then a widescreen is a god send.

6. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

Depends on usage really. I find widescreen displays better personally, because it means you can have something like a web browser and MSN side-by-side, without really affecting anything. Extra height isn't particularly useful for that sort of thing.

As for TrueLife, anything above the standard resolution (1280x800) will automatically have it, it's not an option. Still looks good though, you get more vivid colours from the glossy displays.