1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 140mm belly fan on 120mm hole. Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gooey_GUI, 9 Jan 2009.

1. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I just went on a 45-mile round trip to get a new supply and failed to see that this model is built with a 140mm fan. Corsair 750w.

The belly fan will be installed into a hole that is closer to 120mm. I really don't like shutting off air that the PSU needs for cooling.

I shouldn't have listened to the Fry's guy. I even pointed out the fact to him at the time while we were staring at the same Antec P182 case that I had at home.

was I mislead?

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Widen the hole?

3. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Old School OCer

+1, dremel time!

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

are you talking about that extra cage that goes overtop of the PSU on the P182? it's unnecessary. mount the PSU with the fan facing up, and only use the 4 screws on the back. then you won't have anything blocking the fan airflow.

5. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

That would be ok if there was a place to put the extra cables. There is very little room between the PSU and the middle fan arrangement. I need what little space there is for the extra cable with the 4-pin molex. There are two other PCI-e cables that I really don't want that need to be tucked away on top of the supply and under the roof/wall.

6. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Old School OCer

It looks like there may be room between the PSU and the back panel to hide some cables / wires ...

7. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I just got a p182 and a corsair 620. My 620 is running cool with it being mounted face down ( the fan on the bottom). There seems to be enough space there for enough cooling to get inside.

Side note, do you know how to take that middle fan out or put one up front on the bottom?

8. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

to take the middle fan in the bottom chamber out, pull toward you on the plastic shroud it is mounted on. it should come loose. there isn't room to put a fan between the drive cage and the front of the case in the bottom chamber, you're better off just leaving the middle one in there pulling over the HDDs.

gooey, i'm not sure i understand what you mean (or that you understand what i mean). there should be just as much room to hide cables whether the fan is facing up or facing down, there is the same amount of space above and below the power supply to shove cables. or at least there is in the P180, and i didn't think they changed the power supply mounts between the P180 and the P182.

9. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

To be fair, blocking a relatively small amount of a psu intake won't make any real difference to the cooling performance, 140mm fans are used as they can shift the same amount of air for a lower rpm and hence noise. Also there is plenty of room down either side of the PSU to stash quite a few spare cables if you tidy them up nicely. Failing that you could replace the thick fan that comes as standard with a regular thickness one to get some more room back.

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

+1, same situation here.

The lower chamber fan on the P182 is actually a regular 25mm thick fan already. On the P180, though, it's 38mm thick.

11. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Ah right, that was what I was basing my comments off as I have a 180, I assumed the 182 has the same fan setup.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The P182 bottom compartment fan is only really needed with three or more drives down there (eg, a RAID setup). You can improve airflow through the compartment by taping over the holes round the PSU mount and sealing off the upper compartment as much as possible.

[​IMG]