1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Soldier of Fortune banned in Australia

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 18 Oct 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

'Gross and overly violent content' It's called 'Soldier of Fortune', not Tree-hugger love fest 3, what do they expect?

- H.

3. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

I understand you need to protect kids from seeing some ultra-gore..but if I'm over 18, I should be able to play whatever the hell I want. Same argument as Manhunt being banned I know, but it's applicable here too.

There's no law saying I can't play a game, regardless of the topic, only a law refusing the sale of unclassified games. R18+ is the way to go IMO.

Oh and Dego, typo it's IEAA, not IEEA :)

4. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

Absolute BS. Protecting kids from gore is ridiculous. I grew up watching ultra violent movies and playing games filled with gore with no detrimental effects. You simply teach kids the difference between make believe and reality and they will do just fine. This whole nanny state mentality makes me sick. Making these bans only encourages more people to go buy the bloody game anyway. It also encourages more people to get the game via illegal channels, ie downloads or bootleg vendors. I have let my nephews play whatever they liked since they were wee ones and they are both happy well adjusted kids that get good marks. It is simply a matter of parents taking responsibility for their children.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

IIRC Tree-hugger love fest 3 got banned as well, for gratuitious sexual content

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

Yet another goverment with nazi style policies.

We want freedom of choice not extreme censorship, that some governing body my thing that the content is unsuitable.

Just sick an 18 rating on it, and if a adult wants to purchase it then let them, otherwise we will getting it downloaded from some torrent site or import it.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It seems absurd to me that a government would decide what consenting adults can and can not play.

On what grounds can anyone argue a government should have that say?

8. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Is that an actual screenshot? Jeez, that's disgusting.

9. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

AMEN to that. My dad took me to all the slaughter fests back in the day, even when i was like 6. i never had bad dreams from tehm and i never killed the nieghbors cat, i certainly didnt shoot up any schools. Violence is a natural thing, if a child cant controll his instincts, then its not going to matter what movies he has seen he will inheirently know voilence. This is only in the case where parenting has no controll over the situation, where there is somthing wired wrong in the kids head.

10. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

shouldnt ban games just rate them R18 or Adult etc and require proof of age purchase

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've seen worse in real life, it's not that bad

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

if you read the article a bit more carefully you will see that australia doesnt have a 18+ only rating for games... so that everything they dont want to rate 15+ ends up banned automatically...

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Actually, although it's been a hell of a long time since I played it, I think that was from SoF1. But I'm probably wrong.

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Realistic? No its not. Gory and disgusting yes, but bodies to not just fall apart like that :p

15. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Ridiculous as usual with any mass censorship ruling. If the parents don't want their kids (under 18 of course) being exposed to "mature" content then their lazy arses need to get up off their couch and screen it. It's their job not the government's, they're the parents. Once people reach adulthood they should be able to deem what content is acceptable for them and what isn't. This is one of those times I'm really glad I live in the United States where I don't have to put up with this Gestapo BS caused by people shrugging off personal accountability.

16. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

QTF

Its from SOF2 IIRC

17. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Noooooooooooooooooo, best not get banned here!!!

I want full SOF3 as its ment to be, no watering down like manhunt has had to.
    This is not a game for the kidies so a 18 rating would surfice!!

That it is :thumb:

However I was not aware postal 2 was banned, when did that happen?! As ive had it for ages :eyebrow:

18. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't it just be simpler to report on games not banned in Australia?

19. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

That actually looked pretty tame to me...

Just wanted to here that that argument makes no sense here, and somebody always says it every time a new game gets banned. This isn't about people's expectations, it's about the game taken for what it is. Now, I'm not saying it should be banned, but a statement like that has no bearing here. The rating of games isn't based on what people "expect" of games, but for its content and whether kids (some of whom may have parents who don't care, and we don't want those kids growing up becoming the next James Earl Cash) should be allowed to buy them.

I wouldn't mind a strong rating on games like this - I think the US should enforce its rating system more - but flatout banning of any media is a violation of freedom of speech.

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Soldier of Fortune gave me one of my greatest memories when pumped up full of adrenilin In ran straight into the first hostages room and shotguned hium into the wall thinking he was a bad guy even though he was just standing there. I couldn't helmp but laugh at the expresion of suprise I thought I saw as he flew accross the room.

*Actualy Im too clever to bother spelling on a web forum where I'm mainly wrighting for my own benifit, filter.

Tags: Add Tags