1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS Introduces the All-New Eee PC

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest-16, 31 Oct 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ASUS Introduces the All-New Eee PC

Easy to Learn, Easy to Work, Easy to Play Technology Made Easy

The ASUS Eee PC has generated an incredible amount of media over the past few finals. Today ASUS UK is pleased to confirm the UK launch details. The ASUS Eee PC provides users with a new mobile experience – appealing to a wide range of users, both young and old, experienced with technology or not. The Eee PC gives you the freedom to decide how you want to experience technology.

The ASUS Eee PC will launch in the UK on November 12th for £219 inc VAT (4G model) and will be available in both Pearl White and Galaxy Black. Furthermore there will be a full public UK unveiling at this weekend’s What HiFi Sound & Vision/Best of Stuff Show at the Novotel London West in Hammersmith (2nd – 4th November) so drop by to see demonstrations of the Eee PC in addition to other exciting new ASUS products.

“This delightful little computer is incredibly easy to use but at the same time is packed full of technology,” said Sean Malony, Intel Executive VP, GM of Sales & Marketing Group, “Intel is delighted to partner with ASUS on the development on this project, and we would like to once again extend our congratulations to the ASUS team of engineers and researchers.

Sean Malony also said, “This tremendous company (ASUS), with nearly 20 years of technological breakthroughs, has tackled one problem after another in the industry, and we believe that the Eee PC will be significant in bringing computing and Internet access to more and more children and people around the world – realizing Intel’s World Ahead Program.”

Easy to Learn, Work and Play

Learn the latest technology without the manual! For an easy hands-on experience, the Eee PC offers two modes of intuitive user interface design in order to accommodate both experienced and inexperienced PC users. The Eee PC is also Windows XP compatible. With over 40 built-in applications, the Eee PC offers a dynamic computing experience for education, work and play!

Excellent Internet Experience

Built-in WLAN connectivity allows users to stay connected for dynamic Internet usage on the go. With the Eee PC users can share photos without waiting to get home; connect face to face with just a few clicks; enjoy online entertainment live; stay on top of emails to stay ahead at work and more!

Excellent on-the-Go

The 7” Eee PC is only 0.92kg with large flash-based storage capacity and built-in webcam for compact mobility with wireless freedom. The special solid-state disc design based on built-in flash-memory gives the Eee PC a great shock-proof advantage over traditional notebook PCs allowing extra flexibility and a worry free mobile computing experience.

Specifications

Model Name

Eee PC 4G / Eee PC 2G Surf

Display - 7” / 7”

Operating System - Both come with Linux pre-installed and are Windows XP compatible

Ethernet Communication - Both Yes

WLAN - Both Yes

Memory

● 512 MB (DDR2) ● 256 MB (DDR2)

S.S.D. Storage (Solid-State Disk)

● 4GB ● 2GB

Camera - 2GB, No. / 4GB, Yes

Audio

● Hi-Definition audio / ● Hi-Definition audio

● Stereo speaker / ● Stereo speaker

● Microphone / ● Microphone

Battery

4 Cells: 5200 mAh, 3.5hrs* / 4 Cells: 4400 mAh, 2.8hrs*

Weight

0.92 kg / 0.92 kg

Price (SRP £)

£219 inc VAT / £199 inc VAT

2. (Ck)Vegeta

(Ck)Vegeta What's a Dremel?

yeah but who wants a 4 gb hard drive

3. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

I saw one of these IRL last night. It's absolutely tiny. I'm really keen on getting myself one...

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I do, 4 gig is hard to fill up with word doc, excel files, power point presentations and pdfs. All the things i really need for Uni/work. So 4 gig is more than enough for personal business use. Its only when you start generating thousands of them a day or use huge data bases that HDD space becomes an issue. And ~£200 for a secondary/back up portable PC is awesome. Now to convince someone to buy me one.

5. JuryLayth

JuryLayth What's a Dremel?

This computer is on pre order at OCUK. TBH you might as well get a real laptop for the price thou.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Who cares about the 4GB HDD? The OS only takes up about 1.3 IIRC, so you're left with 3.7GB. That's more than enough for the text files you'll be using the thing for.

It's cheap, it's ultra-portable. It is a real laptop too. It just focusses on what laptops are mostly used for when you're out and about and doesn't bother with all the other crap. I'm really hoping to see one IRL and if I get a lappy in the next 24 months I'll definitely consider one of these.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Any Linkage in Belgium?

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's the perfect little tool to help sort out network problems and other peoples PC's, I'm definitely getting one, but I may wait for the 8Gig version.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Don't know mate, we only talk with Asus HQ Taiwan and UK Branch.

10. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

You must have failed maths HORRIBLY in school...

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

If only I had a reason to get one...

<A88>

12. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I am getting one for sure. Its perfect for school and 300€ is a great price IMHO

13. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

Ive already ordered one. I don't think i could get a better laptop for the price and what it will be used for (school work and browsing the web). Quick question though: my sis ordered it through the RM website site as shes studying in the UK and thought that would be the easiest way of ordering it, so should I be able to get a VAT exempt form for when she brings it over? Ive looked around the site and cant see anything about the VAT

14. Mnet_Gaming

Mnet_Gaming What's a Dremel?

I really really doubt that, us students are no less vat exempt that the usualy mug taking it up the backside from the tax man.

However, let us know how it goes mate. I really really want one after my Sony U3 got nicked at xmas :(.

The rest seriously suckes though, 800*480. My u3 had full XGA (1024x768) and I still found that a bit of a pain to view sites on.

15. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear about your laptop mate but you can be sure I'll post back when I get it. All i can say for now is that I've seen it during a video conference with my sis and it looks really nice.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Bindi - is there any word on when the full selection of these is going to be out? All I can find is 2GB and 4GB variaties, in white only. I'm really keen on picking one of these things up, but I'd want to see how much the 8GB version cost, and I'd almost certainly want it to be black.

Never took it xD

Last edited: 11 Nov 2007
  17. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

dabs have the black 4 gb one listed.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

hmm.... ubuntu linux on that..... + external 160GB hard usb drive + painted black = win!!!!!

i wonder what is the cpu and gpu on those things....

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

GPU is nonexistant, or as good as. It's a chip that'll do 2D and most video formats relatively well. Not a thing more.

Cpu is a 900Mhz Pentium M. Sounds puny but for what it's in it's actually a supurb chip. I won't say that a 1.2Ghz version wouldn't be peachy, but these things boot in about 20 seconds and are, from the reviews I've been reading, fairly damn snappy when used.

20. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

On a holiday or a long trip with a digital camera that will be amazing, snap away and offload onto the usb drive. I want one.