1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte X38-DS5 review & X38T-DQ6 revisit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

on the game benchmarks, all the scales say "time in seconds, lower is better". are you sure that's not a framerate?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

fixed :thumb:

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

by giving to sets of esata backplates, couldnt you use one in a different pc

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

isnt it time Bit switched to using mor up to date graphics cards? i for one would not be buying an x38 to run an old gpu in

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep. I have tried one in an my own PC with an Asus mobo, but I didn't install the SATA ports in ACHI to start with though :duh:

Yaky - I see your point and I will be, it's just a case of having spare cards to use. I was really waiting for something PCIe-2.

7. yakyb

that makes sense (any news on 3870?):)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

If I told you, I would have to kill you :p

9. yakyb

thought as much! well heres to waiting anoter week

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

im keen

11. Jambe

Jambe What's a Dremel?

X38 is the first commercial chipset to support the PCI-E 2.0 specification. Whether this means you'll see higher throughput using new PCI-E 2.0 cards (like the 8800GTs) on an X38-powered board, I am not sure (I haven't done any testing myself).

An interesting thought, though.

12. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Of course finding the X38-DS5 right now in the USA is an exercise in frustration, As to Bit using "older video cards", Me I use a Dell branded 7800GTX, So almost anything would be newer than mine. And My PC isn't a Dell either, I built It Myself.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

NB Everyone: Article Update
    We've had a lot of discussion today and have made an addendum to the end of the article. Since AMD released its HD3800 series the final value score for the DS5 is no longer representative of how we feel. We never normally change scores post publishing, but before the HD3800s there was no need for CrossFire, but now since release there finally is and the change from the given "7" to a "9" for value was significant enough to worth noting in our change in opinion. It does not affect the other scores given.

Read tomorrow's Asus Maximus review to see another reason why we changed it.

Tags: Add Tags