1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Cooler Master Hyper TX2 & 212

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I was just about to post the exactly same comment Jipa. This cant be good!

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Hmm the 212 looks like they have taken a Tuniq Tower and cut the fins in half and then switched them around.

5. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

6. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

I've noticed the bending before on the boards that get used for heatsink testing - I'd put it down to different tensions on different mountings but if the same board is getting bent like that it's only gonna be a matter of time before it breaks (pics please!)

7. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

@Jipa, i agree! I like the fact that they are smaller than the scythe range of coolers, i just purchased and installed a scythe ninja and its massive, it has cranked my temps down from when i used the intel stock cooler but i had trouble getting the fan in with my ram, nice to see decent temps can be had with a smaller cooler...and the £10 one, no wonder it was given best value! nice review

8. Jipa

But then again.. If you compare the kink on that mobo to the one I saw at Campus Party that's not so big of a deal... However I'd like to point out that whoever made that to the poor mobo on purpose should be punished...

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Look how big the graph is and how many heatsink installs I've subjected the same board to! I'll make sure I'll straighten it out in future but I think it's just been flexed too much :blush:

10. Jipa

Bindi: do you reckon it's the pins of the stock 775-cooler that do that or does the same problem appear also with bolt-through mounting? Sure most users change the cooler once or twice, so that's not a big of a deal, but I'm just interested in why mobos do that..

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

pins mostly - because you have to press from the top without underneath support. With bolts you're meant to tighten opposite ones evenly and stop before it bends.

You can still bend it back easily enough, and if it's screwed in your case firmly it shouldn't bend as much.

12. OleJ

OleJ Me!

You have gotten centimeter and milimeter mixed up on page on 1:
    "The build quality is very good and the 90cm sleeve bearing cooling fan is rated at just 22dB. It's designed to draw air in from the sides as well as the front before forcing it inwards - as a result, Cooler Master claims that this gives the effective cooling of a 100cm fan instead."

Should be "mm" not "cm" otherwise that would be some big ass fans ;)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They are big :hip:

14. drakanious

drakanious What's a Dremel?

Yeah, but not 90 CENTImeters--that's huge.

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

90cm:eeek::jawdrop: that would NOT fit into my case.

Thanks for the reviews.

What was he on when he did that?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Next weeks review: 90m fan.

Week after: fan guard.. possibly.

17. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I would like to see the temps for the stock Intel and AMD coolers. They are not included in this review or the last one.

18. christopher3393

christopher3393 What's a Dremel?

This is the first disappointing review I've read on this site in quite a while. The reviewer needs to take a clear stance on the results and make a clear and intelligent comparison with the selected Noctua Cooler. Muddled as is.

19. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

wholly crap, who would purposefully bend a motherboard

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OK.

There isn't a direct comparison - despite the very similar design, the Noctua is designed for silence and comes with an 800rpm fan, the Cooler Master comes with a 2000rpm fan and has a far greater performance, as well as noise as a result. You can swap out the fans for alternatives, with each other if need be, and they'd probably perform about the same because of it. You don't buy a Noctua expecting ultimate performance, like you don't buy a 212 expecting silence, but both can do either, just not out the box. It doesn't even come with inbuilt fan regulation like you get with the Thermaltakes.

There are too many options to say, "get this, don't get that" because you can do more than just take it out the box and throw it on a CPU.

I personally would not buy the 212 because of the noise, I wouldn't get the Noctua either because it's particularly low slung making it incompatible with a fair few motherboards. I'd still get either Thermaltake or stick with my Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro.

Tags: Add Tags