1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Study links WiFi with childhood autism

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

3. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Everyone please note the word possible. Studies have found possible links between almost anything if enough money is put into it.

Also those in the autistic sprectrum such as myself (I have aspergers) are often quite techy so surely its more likely for wifi to be in the house as thats what the child etc is interested in.

4. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I have 36 wifi routers strapped around my bed at nite. I was always under the impression wifi *prevented* autism...

:rolleyes:

Hmm. What if you varied the amount of wifi webbernet rays to a child's head? Could you give them just enough autism to make them braniacs like rainman but not enough to make them social outcasts?

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

laugh of the day:clap:

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Doesn't wifi broadcast on the same frequency as you get from a microwave oven? DECT phones also use the same frequency.
    Both have been round longer than wifi, so why hasn't this been noticed before?

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

No one sticks there head inside microwaves or uses DECT phones... erm well the first one is true any way. Microwaves are shielded to prevent leakage and iirc need to checked/replaced periodically to prevent hard from leaked radiation.

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

News FLASH!

A new study has linked Oxygen with death! BAN OXYGEN!

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm not saying that people put their babies in the microwave (they probably wouldn't fit anyway), and I'm not talking about leaked microwave radiation. Microwave ovens are a known source of emissions on the 2.4GHz frequency - it's well known that turning the microwave oven can play havoc with your wifi network.

DECT phones and (horror of horrors) baby monitors also use the same 2.4GHz frequency, but nobody's jumping all over them saying that they cause autism.

It's the same with the "mobile phones cause brain cancer" malarky: if people don't understand how something really works, it becomes a target for all the causes of what's wrong with the world.

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Lots of people think we should avoid every type of radiation. Light's the worst of them all! Another cause for most of our miseries are our genes! We should ban genes from our food and try to remove them from our children.

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

microwaves are not on all day long. wifi is. its all about exposure times.

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

IIRC, the amount of radiation you get from WiFi in a year, is about equal to cooking a meal in the microwave, and staying in the kitchen whilst it is cooking. That might be complete rubbish though.

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I wont agrue for or against that because i dont know how much radiation you get from a microwave. but they are supposed to be shielded and people dont complain about them. anyway, assuming that they are shielded, I also pick up something like 20 wifi signals in my apt. Most are weak signals, but they are there. all day every day.
    and I dont know if a wifi signal is that bad for you, it seams to me that there are far worse evils in the world. like the mold where I work or the benzene that is in the plant that i work at.

15. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

oh no, im in trouble! I WEAR MY ROUTER ON MY HEAD!

16. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

XD

That brought a tear to my eye!

17. babyboyjj

babyboyjj What's a Dremel?

Is it something to worry about?

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No.

Until someone can provide conclusive proof that this is absolutely true, you can account for the study's findings in 100 ways with modern culture. The human body is surprisingly tolerant of increased radiation, in fact it's often the case that slightly increased doses of radiation actually help to reduce the % of cancers within a population.

19. Major

Major Guest

What about when WiFi wasn't around and thousands of kids had autism? lol.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Tags: Add Tags