1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Optimus keyboard seen working

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

To expensive and far to impracticle. As if your going to want to pay $1500 on a keyboard only to bash it when you get feckered in UT3. Good idea but at that price it will die of death.

Neon

3. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

A good idea, but it is far too expensive, its not even useful enough to justify a price a 10th of that.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i disagree i think our company would love a couple of these in its foyer and many other companies will to
    at £700 roughly i could honestly see this thing selling

5. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Looks like a step toward input panels as seen in star trek and every other sci-fi show
    me want

6. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Why would anyone want to spend £700 on a keyboard? Surely 3 20" monitors all inter connected would look far better and cost the same if not less?

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Although hideously expensive there will always be a market for products like these, If i had the money i would get one, right now though i can think of better uses of £700 tbh

8. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Remember, this is just the first wave of these kinds of products. In time, the price will come down (Not of this model, admittedly, but of the devices this one inspires down the line).

9. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

I can get that but this idea was developed about 3 years ago and is only coming out now. I dont see it being the norm anytime soon.

10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

It looks really nice and perhaps a viable consumer device when it drops in price (I'm quite interested to see what the $500 version will have), but personally I'd wait for an ergonomic version to come out before I'd consider it properly- after all, I wouldn't spend that much on a device that slows down my typing. Still, pretty damn cool and not the Duke Nukem Forever we expected.

<A88>

11. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Shiny:D

but I will never get one at that price:eeek:

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I don't think you've quite grapsed the concept of business budgets versus home budgets.

In this case, it would be for nothing but the show factor. Any company can stick up a bunch of displays, and plenty do. But the keyboard with a hundred screens built in will be the talking piece.

13. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

i would SO like one, but at that price, its for when i have more money than sense.

so thats when ive gone senile then.

14. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

15. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

Is the $1500 to £700 official or just a guess ? In my experience long time ago $1500 was £1500(companies loved the 1:1 ratio:wallbash:) , and more recently,with better exchange rate, it would be £1000-£1200

back on topic, yes I want one, but I wouldn't pay more than £200, so out of my league:sigh:
    I will wait till Logitech and Microsoft somehow manage to get round the patents and bring their own version out.

16. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

It's more of a design principle / idea though. They're not producing them in great quantities, and will probably take the lessons they learn and re-engineer them for mass production so they're cheaper.

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Guys, Its a prototype and not a production model.

They are at prototype stage, so yeah the amount of money it cost to build one will be high and that expensive. Once it gets from prototype to production then it will be a more reasonable price as all the machinery will be there in place to make this specific item and can churn them out in the hundreds and thousands.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

looks nice!

The space bar should have a larger display, though...

19. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, the key word here (no pun inteneded) is "prototype", I'd reckon it would be a good idea to wait until we see a production model before anyone starts frothing at the underpants over something that might not make it past the prototype stage.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

I WANT ONE!!! :eyebrow: Have always wanted one. Started to want one in the late eighties!!! :hip:
    Have been patiently waiting for this long :lol: .....and for obvious reasons, will have to be patiently waiting for some time to come. :nono:

What I want here and now :dremel: is lighting in my laptop keyboard - like the new Mac's!!!

Tags: Add Tags