1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rogers forces own content onto users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

:eeek::nono:
    I hope this doesn't start a trend. To me this feels like the WD mybook thing. I hope i never have to use rogers for my ISP.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Forcefully integrating into the browser at the top of every page would be extremely annoying, and potentially damaging to revenue generated by ads for a given site...

That being said, I can see a bandwidth monitor at the ISP level being a handy tool if it told you how much you've used in the month, although it's something I'd rather see on the account page of the users ISP, (with the possibly of a vista sidebar gadget to interrogate and display it) as a lot of the time (especially if there are multiple computers/consoles & users in a household) you have no idea how much bandwidth you've actually used.

4. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

If I want to view my bandwidth I can just go to my ISPs management page and log in. That's the way it should be.

5. Renze

Renze What's a Dremel?

This reminds me of the old dail-up days where you had to pay relative to your internet usage. Didn't like that one bit!

Personally I'm against the whole capped braodband thing. I have 2 pcs in my house, raising to 3pcs and a laptop after Xmas, all being connected to the internet for at least 4 hours a day. All those together would eat up at my limit and if my ISP followed Rogers' idea then we'd be spending a small fortune every month. Luckily enough my ISP doesn't cap my broadband, but I do have to go for the fastest package to make sure I get decent speeds when the other pcs are all on :(

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

They can ad-bomb me all they want if I have the option to turn the ads off. Like in the picture there's a link "Click here if you don't want to receive this message in the future."

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

not useful, just another big brother thing

8. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Forcing additional content at the top of the page is taking up even more bandwidth. So, they're basically stealing from the allocation that their customers are paying for. I paid for 10GB, I surfed exactly 10GB of web sites but got hit for 10.5GB of usage when your forced ads put me over the limit! I can see the lawsuits now. :)

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hmmm, I wonder if they make that "free" bandwidth. If not, I think you may have a point, TGImages.

Personally, the moment that this starts happening to me here in the States, I'll be looking to use a darknet service over in Sweden or something and SSH in. All they'll see are a bunch of AES256 encryption. Good luck, ISP. :p If you want to see what I'm browsing for THAT badly, more power to you.

What will be really special is when they use that "deep packet" technology to make "helpful" suggestions and browser-guided advertising. You'll have to be encrypted just to be able to browse the web in peace. :(

10. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

This is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. You pay for a service and that is to be provided internet access, simply that (sure it varies from company to company).

It's pretty obvious where this is going with most businesses these days. Trying to generate as much revenue as possible, whilst that's fine in my eyes what they're doing here is not. They've crossed the fine line of providing a service and paying the bills. Infact what they're doing now is providing a service and paying the bills fine they've decided to be greedy (as usual :grr:) and are affecting the quality of their service.

Exactly. This is just another excuse to put something up/advertise and if anyone questions it "oh but it has it's uses such as ... showing your balance in your account and ... shoving you with more ads" (as if the internet isn't full of obtrusive popups already).

Sometimes I read the usual news about big companies trying to make as much money as possible and I wish that us consumers could start something similar to what employees would call a strike.

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i have rogers business setup on one of the branches at work... firewalls n stuff is in place, but as soon as i see one of this message in a browser, im dropping Rogers. worst case scenario, i'll move to Bell.

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Worst case scenario. Buy a Wi-Fi setup and there you go :p

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I'm with Videotron :)
    Cheaper then Bell, better then Bell, descent service, very fast (personally going at advertised speed (7Mbps), and usually over board 8Mbps on xmas day), and always connected modem.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2007
  15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I would love the option to see my usage on my cell phone for if i am using the net. that would of saved me a rather high bill last year. but if its used to send ads at me, Id just rather they didn't.

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

T-Mobile does that for me on their website, just looked it up: 30MB data in the past month*.

*I wonder how much this'll increase now i've just got a 3G/HSDPA capable PDA phone instead of my old GPRS one? :lol:

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

18. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

god i hate ISP's. i'm on telus now, they have been pretty cool so far but i've heard some horror stories. i've just got to keep my usage low enough that i stay off their "closely monitored" list.

@devdevil - bell canada != bell usa. no relation to AT&T.

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have the phone with bell... here is a horror story for you guys
    One morning out of no wear, I have a Bell technician come on my door of my apt, and says he is here for Internet installation and ExpressView (digital TV crap using a stupid dish), and a nice bill mentioning that I have somehow subscribe to ALL of Bell services with ALL extras, all that with a 3 YEAR CONTRACT.

Obviously I did not let him in, and beside my apt building is old and the phones jacks doesn't support DSL, and we don't have the right to put a dish anywhere. It was a nice fight. Luckily I know a reporter (friend) from CBC, and I told him about my story and said he will call them and see what will happen.
    Well 24hours later, I receive a personal call from Bell with their apologies and with "we thought you would be interested on all of that" (don't ask!, I don't' know what is their problem to tell me what I want... but anyway) and free phone service for 2 years (expect long distance call) and with free caller ID.

20. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

With everything going to the net these days, I dont see this type of intrusive ad pushing useful at all. Dont we get it enough from virtually everywhere else? Anyone remember 2142 and the lovely sheet of paper that was hidden in it with a no choice option?

If companies really want revenue, they should start making decent products that people really want. And actual quality products. Nothing moves more merchandise then word of mouth. (Hence why bit tech here gets goodies from all the manufacturers, good reviews + genuine care = sales and vis-versa for products that suck, hopefully pushing the manufacturers to creating better products.)

:)

Tags: Add Tags