1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hitachi unveils 1.5” plasma

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

aren't plasmas much more expensive than LCDs? they do have better image quality.....

3. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

plasmas are cheaper

and the image quality degrades over time (so does LCD i believe, but slower)

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Hah, when I clicked on this article, I expected a really tiny screen.

5. CJ145

CJ145 What's a Dremel?

I could care less about the depth 99% of the time. IQ + viewing size > *

6. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

LOL my how standards change in such a short time... i remember when the house got a 32" 4:3 and all my friends wanted to come over cause they only had 26" ones .. and it weighed a TON (figuratively)

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah... 50" is just "reasonable" now? Last I remember, that was pretty freakin' gargantuan.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

103" is the new gargantuan, I saw it in a misco newsletter I got and shat bricks

Plasmas are better than LCDs but they are definitely not cheaper, what degrades as well is just the brightness IIRC, it degrades quicker than an LCD, but it's also a hell of a lot brighter than an LCD pretty much always be brighter than an LCD. Still, I don't really see the point, nothing compared to a 3mm OLED screen :D Damn I can't wait for some new proper tech to come, LCD and Plasma have always been half assed ways of making a flatscreen until they can figure out how to do it properly.

9. salesman

salesman Minimodder

yeah give me an 82" 4k display

10. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

Can someone tell me honestly what is so amazing about plasma? I find the color reproduction to be horrible, the glossy screen obnoxious, the overly bright colors painful to watch. I honestly thought the only reason people bought plasma is because up until about two years ago they were bigger than LCDs.

About the only plus I see is that it isn't back lit, so they work well in brighter rooms. But then your going to get glare off the screen anyway cause of the glossy coating, so whats it matter.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's got a much better contrast ratio than a LCD, that's one of the main problems with LCDs, even on very good ones the blacks can look grey. I found the colours to look very good as well, maybe the plasmas you saw were setup wrong and had an awful input. That's one of the main problems with shops, you go in because it's always better to actually see a telly than to rely on the stats, but the always have such crappy stuff playing on them that makes the screens look awful

12. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

I used to work at an electronics store and I used to try and set them up as best I could. But even with most plasmas they aren't really black, they are a greenish color, some times gray. But I've never been impressed at all. The contrast is about the only thing i see as a point against the LCDs. But most have improved so well its not noticeable, especially with LED back lighting coming around.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Depends what inputs you have as well, but TBH I agree, they are better, but worth the price difference? I don't think so.

Tags: Add Tags