1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 144Hz worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 16 Nov 2018.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

For fast paced games high hz monitors are great, used them and thought they were great, but would rather have IPS than TN, and whilst now you can get both, I no longer play many/any fast paced games so no longer interested haha.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yeah, I get that with new titles, but in games like RaceRoom where it is more about the realism over how pretty a game looks. 144fps shouldn't be a problem. (Though for an aging engine, with DX9, it still looks pretty great. :)

Anyway, I did buy a monitor to test one, so I will post that later. :)

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I'd have to try one of these monitors before I could make a final judgement, but I fail to see the appeal if I'm honest. I've played fast-paced FPS on 60Hz screens for over 15 years, and I've never felt the need to have more than 60fps "true" frame rate. The biggest change I ever made display-wise was to go from TN to IPS, and like many people I'll never, ever go back, which is why I'm happy buying 60Hz IPS screens for the foreseeable future.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was also like this then managed to sneak a game or two of counter strike on a review unit and I'm convinced they're great. I haven't got one at home yet but my next monitor will 100% be 1440p and 144Hz.

Ficky Pucker and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well VA seems to be the best of both worlds, so I went with a Hannspree 32" 144Hz monitor, and I can see a big differences, especially when panning around.
    2ms response with 144Hz refresh, some pretty nice colours, and viewing angles to match IPS, I'm pretty happy with the colour accuracy of this monitor. :)

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I was convinced I didn’t need it either... until I got one and asked myself why I had waited so long. :D

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Thought you'd have gone down the g-sync route, seeing as though you'll be having triple displays? It would have helped reduce tearing when framerates dip because 3x1440p, that's for sure.