1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Striker II Formula

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

I Really Want one now!

3. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

I just hope that this board doesnt end up like the striker extreme did,asus seemed to have stoped further development for the striker extreme 1 even though the current bios is extremely ustable and have tuns of stability related problems...

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We never really had stability problems with the original Striker - Tim has used the original in every high end graphics review for the last year. True, we've been through at least 3 of them in that time but mostly because we had engineering samples.

5. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

The things that I experience the most is fsb holes(some fsb setting ranges just dont post,even though there low enough and stable on the same processor on a different board),and the fact that with some brands of memory you cant have more than 2x 1gb matched paires simply becouse if you had more it causes instability and wont allow you to overclock,or simply wont post :( .

But I have to admit Im a bit baised against the striker extreme 1 simply becouse my first striker lasted less than a day and afterwards failed to post,had to wait two weeks for a replacment,and went trough 3 different ram manufacturers to get the correct ram for the board,ended up with kingston(ocz and corsor,arent easily accisible in south africa)

I guess the board isnt that bad if you have the correct setup....

Edit: Remove some typos

Last edited: 25 Jan 2008
  6. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Its a shame you can't hook this board upto your watercooling, but other than that it looks promising, much rather have the optionof 3 8800's than 4 ATI cards.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well I'm sure our resident memory expert, Ryan Leng, will testify how much the brand of memory is also key to stability as much as the BIOS. The Striker II does seem a little picky as well in this regard. As for FSB holes - that's on every board and you have to work around them unfortunately. Some boards offer the option to adjust the speed of the northbridge manually but mostly this isn't the case.

8. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

I guess it then just biols down to personal preferance :p

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:) Well without a doubt the general life-span of the nForce 680i SLI was pretty crap - no matter who you bought it from. So far I've not heard the same about the 780i thankfully.

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've not had any problems with either of my 680i boards, one of which is the EVGA, and the other is the Striker Extreme, which then actually surprises me, the Extreme supplied temp probes for the board, seems odd how Asus didn't with the S2F.
    This board does look good on the outside, maybe for those who want SLI and didn't go to NF6 can go straight to this, however its still early days for NF7 and i suppose we should wait and see whats comming around the corner.

Sam

11. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

I couldnt afford the striker at my time of upgrade, so i got the p5n32-e sli, and am happy with it, overclocked nicely after the first board i received failed to post after its first boot, but this new striker does nothing to make me want to upgrade to it, strikes me as a space filler to use the 780i that might appeal to alienware and such for offering the 'most extreme' systems to date...i'd imagine it to be a relatively cheap design move for asus too, so win win for them. There's my 10 C's worth.

Oh Rich, you mentioned new chipsets coming out, i like to think i follow things on bit-tech news but i must have missed something, what are we expecting, from whom and when might we be expecting it? :) cheers

peace

12. marscay

marscay What's a Dremel?

memory manufacturers must be having a hard time sleeping with this board just being released.

will this board be stick killer v2? :)

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Check the two Hybrid SLI articles out - there's a bunch of info in there about new chipsets supporting SLI on Intel platforms.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I'm not impressed. Looks the same as the old one, does the same things as the old one, costs the same as the old one, gets hot(ter) like the old one.

So whats actualy new besided a chipset number..

15. widmod

widmod Minimodder

it looks nice :clap:
    shame that it lacks e-sata
    no triple-sli testing atm?
    i wish i could see a picture of the sound board
    looks like watercooling could be conectet to the central (heatsink) block?

16. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

hint hint, nudge nudge.....So what exactly should we be waiting on (without breaking any NDA's).

As for water cooling, it will just be a matter of time before someone builds a monster block for it.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry, I completely forgot - I ran out of space for a few pictures.

We are obviously under NDA for a few bits but there's no point in talking since we don't have hardware either. What we can say about future products is in Tim's Hybrid SLI article.

18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

[​IMG]

Is it a photography/optical illusion, or is that board considerably warped in that picture?

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

it's under tension because the heatsink is installed (was taken while I was in the middle of using the board for some graphics testing)

20. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Oh, okay. I don't believe I've ever seen one quite like that before. But that heatsink, that does give it quite a bit of flair.

Tags: Add Tags