1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Watercooling 201: The Waterblock

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Great article!! :clap:

I dont think im quite ready to be building my own blocks just yet, but this article certainly helps in choosing (and understanding that decision) the right type of block for ones needs. :thumb:

Nice work. :D

3. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Absolutely fantastic article Brett! :thumb:

Informative and very well written.

However, I hate to be the one to point out a flaw but, unless I'm very much mistaken, that isn't the "new" MC-TDX at all. It appears to be the standard TDX instead.

Here's some nice pics of the MC-TDX :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:thumb:

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

great article.... but, when i got towards the end and spotted that rebate, wow that just put the article even beyond awesome.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Great article, but what happened to the 5th block you were gonna rip open for us?

Sam

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

great article :thumb:

I have my own custom-made water block on my Striker NB, and while I still have no camera, I'll dig up the solidworks designs when I have time after work.

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Erk! Hey Sam, I thought I left the word 'five' in there. Originally I intended to add a look into an 'up and coming' in there - but after digging through the best of the best, the fifth block really didn't make the cut. I'd prefer not to slander it without a proper review, so I withheld judgement on it. :)

And Whiskey, you are correct that this is a standard TDX - I didn't get my MC version in time and forgot to change the references :) Sorry bout that! The article is corrected now. Dan wouldn't have been happy for me to feature his "old" block as the new - and I've not tested the MC's performance.

I'm glad you guys like it so far! This has been in my head to do for a while - I've been looking around for watercooling resources and found things particularly lacking. Not so much in "this block good, this block bad," but the why's and the wherefor's.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I would have prefered an MC-TDX comparrison, as the TDX is now very much Old-Hat.

9. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

Nice follow up brett. I'm not in the market for making my own blocks yet but am thinking about a watercooling system when i come into new hardware and now atleast i understand more of what i'm looking at when i sift through pis of waterblocks. Cheers

fatman

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hey '91,

I would like to have *also* included the MC - the standard TDX is still one of the best blocks on the market and a good example of excellent design, though. I'm going to do a proper review of the MC- in the near future, though - so no worries. :)

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

So, are we going to be seeing more water cooling reviews?

Brilliant!

12. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Good to see my beloved TDX in here. I've been using one since my socket 754 days. Went from 754 AMD x64 3000+ to 939 AMD x2 3800+ and now to Intel 775 Q6600.

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

nice article, good job of condensing the huge can of worms that is waterblock design down into an understandable form :)

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

heh, all is revealed. I thought that maybe the Storm would show up, seems i have the wrong block:(

Sam

15. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Sorry Brett, I'm at it again:

Maybe not in the box but these are available and I found the "Quad nozzle" actually did seem to reduce my temps a bit on the ol' Q6600.

[​IMG]

available here

16. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Had hoped to see the apogee GTX in there. Got myself one of these blocks and I'm very happy with its performance. Great article tho mate, would be nice to see one including GPU / Mosfet / NB blocks too now :)

17. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

I'm also surprised you didn't have a SINGLE apogee waterblock in that lineup... because if you did, it would trump every block there.

Cather @ www.procooling.com was the original designer of the apogee series, and back in the hayday you could get one similar to the top of the line apogee that was done in 99.9% silver.

my understanding is he then sold the design.

anyway, this block is amazing, go buy it now!

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Brett did not pick the blocks he featured in the article because he thought they were, like, the best performing blocks evar, nor because he has particular favorites (he doesn't). He simply chose them as examples of well-performing blocks functioning along the watercooling principles he wished to illustrate. No particular criticism or depreciation of the Apogee was implied and none should be inferred.

19. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Do we get one on radiators soon, because that seems to be the most confusing bit to me.

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

radiators are easy, thermochill PA series as big as you can fit, done :p

Tags: Add Tags