1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Namco: Wii killing arcade scene

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I've not been to an arcade in years, and I guess the ones in bowling alleys don't really count either.

3. koola

koola Minimodder

The Wii is no more to blame than the PS3 and 360 tbh.

4. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I miss going to the arcades. Even if we just used too much money on it.. Now they closed the ones i know...

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Heh... checking the dmc4 'world' leaderboard its obvious japan has had the game a while, its like something from 'pearl harbour', all but a few of the 20 missions the top 10 scores are japanese - it would seem they are relishing the 'arcade competition' from the comfort of their *infinitely configurable bean bag chair*

6. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I haven't been to the arcades much in the last year since I changed jobs... I miss lunch breaks in the troc or nstation.... :(

7. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I went to a little arcade a couple of weeks ago and wasted £2 on that 18-wheeler game. Maybe if arcade games didn't suck so much, people might use them. Probably not though, they're just too expensive when you can get the same thing at home for free.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i did a couple arcade in the movie theaters here in Canada while waiting for my movie to start, just to have a little fun with my buddies while waiting.

outside that, i rarely ever visit the arcade.

but back home in Asia, arcade is the ****!

consoles are prohibitively more expensive, and due to geography location and gas/petrol, going to ur friends' house is alot more cumbersome than just "lets meet up at the arcade".

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I would say the console seen is killing the arcade seen and man I havent been to an arcade in ages but boy were they fun back in the day problem is now I cant find any decent arcades anymore..... unless I go back to Vegas lol ~_~

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have great memories of being in an arcade with a friend that has clearly spent far to much time in an arcade at come point in his life. Watching him fire a semi-auto shotgun as fast as a machine gun (by moving his hand ridiculously fast between the trigger and the trigger guard) was a sight to behold.

I don't remember the games being much good though.

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

There's a snooker hall just above one where i live...so i walk through it quite often....does that count? :p

12. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

It's pretty obvious why there isn't as much of an arcade "scene" in the UK - £1 a game is rediculous! Especially considering it's like 25c in the US (or was last time I was there...)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think the petrol argument is extremely valid - no one wants to go out or pay for travel, so people just stay at home and chat on the net or play with home consoles. More so with the addition of HDTVs etc

14. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

The costs of arcades is prohibitive when you can have the same experience at home, likely with a larger higher quality screen with only a single outlay. As a result arcades are full of dance simulators and racing games that have a unique selling point that is more difficult to reproduce in the home. Arcades are only going to become more and more niche unless they can offer an experience beyond the console, be it through VR headsets/3d dlp screens etc, or far more powerful hardware than a home user can afford.

15. koola

koola Minimodder

Don't forget the emulators! Tons and tons of free arcade classics to play on. It's more a social thing in Japan though with most people spending a good afternoon in them and all day in cyber cafes. It's even more crazy in korea my mate tells me.

Tags: Add Tags