1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Audiosurf

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/02/26/audiosurf/1

We're riding rollercoasters made of music, being pelted with neon coloured bricks and screaming out the words to some rather embarrassing power ballads. Have we lost it completely? No. We've just discovered one of the most fluid music-games to date.

:eyebrow:

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Awsome game.

I would say it's more like a version of Columns than Tetris though.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Note: The Monkey Island theme track is especially awesome. It sounds stupid, but really clear banjo-folk comes out fantastically and the beat detection is spot on.

Try the Banjo Duel from the film Deliverance for some of teh awsum.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Not the banjo duel from Monkey Island 3?

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

You can lose, play in Ironmode, if you overfill, you have to either restart or end the song, that and the bricks come faster and getting a gold is much more difficult as you need to score significantly higher.

Also, there is a song limit, I believe it's 21 minutes if I recall correctly

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

N'ah - the Deliverance track is the best. It starts of really slow and spends a minute and a half slowly getting more and more complex and faster until suddenly it explodes into true hillbilly, finger-blurring brilliance.

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Good review Joe! A yay for the Deadfall linky: I'm still number 1 on all their tracks! The hardest track I've tried so far is No More Lies by Iron Maiden. It's not a particularly fast or complicated track, but the snare drum beats are just the right distance apart to make the hills they produce in the track large, yet frequent at the same time. It feels like your racing over a raging ocean: not only is it pratically impossible to see where you're going, it gives you a might headache as well (lol). In fact, I've found that some genres as so fast, the tracks end up being quite smooth. Any European Power Metal track are, despite being 180 bmp and double bass from start to finish, relatively easy rides compared to something slower, but with a stronger beat.

It is amazing just how much the music makes this game. Play it with the sound off and it's dull as dish water, play it with the sound turned up and it's a thrilling, sweat enducing emotional rollercoaster. I can see me playing on this for a long, long time to come.

8. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

What happens if you'd scan a track from Dreamtheater (like a change of seasons, 23min endurance race). Try something like Slave Shall Serve by Behemoth or Shitstorm by Strapping Young Lad (check myspace), or wouldn't it detect beats that fast.

9. quack

quack Minimodder

I wonder what a Dragonforce song looks like.

10. baronvongogo

baronvongogo What's a Dremel?

Iv played this gaming using strapping young lad "oh my F***ing god" its one of the hardest songs especially if you play in mono mode. The amount of blocks that are generated and the track is one of the fastest iv played on. There are also achievements and 3 of them are to successfully play mono mode for a 3 min song, 7 min song and 11 min song. Im tempted to try Crimson by edge of sanity a 40 min song :D should prove interesting.

Although one of my favorite songs to use is longview by greenday it generates one fun track with slow uphill sections then busts into some fast downhill mayhem.

11. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

Well, search a little bit in YouTube. :)

BTW, this game rocks. Too darn much. I grabbed it a few days ago, and I just love it.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i play a lot of dragonforce songs on it, doing it in ninja mono with ironmode on is a nice workout :)

13. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Nothing like as hard as Guitar Hero. I think I still stand as the only person to complete it in Bit HQ - although Tim may have done it at home.

14. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

An original title. $10. Ability to create 'infinitely' new tracks. Several play modes and difficulties.
    Well I can't argue with any of that. Maybe I'll get this game in the following weeks.
    Does it require dedicated graphics or can it run on integrated?

15. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

actually my own music turns out to be perfect for this, since I split somewhere between techo/trance.

and it is an awesome game, well worth the $10

16. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Hum, I think I need to reinstall Steam.

17. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

on my rig (bobafett in the sig) i run it at 1280x768 on high with no AA (doesn't really need AA) just fine.
    will run with 4xAA but it can get choppy during really fast segments - like when i tried Chic n Stu by SOAD.

i don't know if integrated chips will pull it off or not.

18. Kamakazie!

Kamakazie! What's a Dremel?

I thought it was 25mins? Not that it matters. Needs to be upped to 2+ hours for podcast listening whilst playing... though that might be boring if the algorithm doesn't treat talking voices that well.

Stuff by The Strokes & Blur Song 2 are some of my favourites. Also anything thats stop start is great to play.... especially ones with a heavy beat/snare.

19. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

damm you have given me an idea... if it could continiously generate track then you could have endurance surfathons using random music or mood selected music.

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The Betas were 21mins, though it might be 25mins indeed, but I'm fairly sure it's not past 30mins, and I think it got said multiple times on the Audisurf and Steam forums that the limit is there because the game starts to screw up with songs longer then that

Tags: Add Tags