1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod of the Month - February 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Feb 2008.

?

Who should win Mod of the Month February 2008?

Poll closed 15 Mar 2008.
  1. Enigma Reborn by Tolk

22.1%
  2. Phinix Cube by Phinix

18.4%
  3. Building Better Worlds by E.E.L. Ambiense

17.6%
  4. G5 Sacrilege by jhanlon303

19.1%
  5. Woody by zwicks

22.8%
  1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Tough choice! All of them are good.

3. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Good stuff, my vote goes to the Enigma for the design.

Side note, how are the contenders picked?

4. GauteHauk

GauteHauk What's a Dremel?

For me it's a toss-up. Enigma for the killer design plan and the Phinix because I know of the difficulty in working with acrylic and how well it looks to be coming together and Building Better Worlds for its insanely complicated details.

If I had to vote for one, it would be Enigma, because I love the cool, precise work with steel.

I don't appreciate the use of JB weld on the Sacrilege, but I understand the necessity. I can see welding could have warped or severely damaged the thin steel of the G5, but I thought JB weld could become sort of brittle over time. I'd hate to have a really pretty case that fell apart, killing the internals.

The color thing is throwing me hard on the Building Better Worlds. I mean, like walking into a ten year old girl's room color. Just wow. But, aside from the color, that case is looking mighty nice. Great work and care is obviously going into the details.

Also, the use of MDF makes me less confident in how sturdy that case will be. Maybe the finished product will be nice, but it has a tendency to be very heavy, breakable, and warpable, should it get any water contact(not that a computer should, just that such things happen more often than we would like). But it's also really easy to split MDF, even after it's been solidly put together. Let's hope it proves to be a tough case.

I know I sound overly critical, but I admire the work all of these mods have taken. I also love the inginuity it takes to do some of these things. The free form molding of plexi that Jhanlon303 is planning is a great example of this. Good luck to you guys in finishing them and nice work so far.

5. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Enigma is just on a whole other level.

6. StevenJam

StevenJam What's a Dremel?

better worlds for me

all amazing only 1 winner :<

7. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

Hahah . Somebody have spelled my name "zwiks" wrong... hahahahah :D actually quite funny:D

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thank you!

Bwhahahahaha!! That's friggin' great... hahaha, a 'little girl's room'! Yeah, that seems to be the usual response to the colors. :thumb:

Seriously, thanks all and thanks to Bit-Tech for even having me nominated for this. Good luck to the other guys too!!

9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah, I always figured the colors would be toned down under the gritty patina topcoat that everything in the Alien movies tended to get...

But all in all, I feel very torn. All four of these represent what's best about modding... all four are ones I personally love. I'm not sure I can decide.

10. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

I'm on the fence with Gaute. BBW looks great and you have to applaud the sheer balls associated with painting the thing like that. My first reaction was "GAH!" but my second was, "huh. Looks nice."

Enigma has a fantastically ambitious design, but I don't really get how it's going to work yet... and I worry that ambition may have overstepped the limits of the materials. (though probably not the engineer)

11. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

zwiks all the way!!!!!!!

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

I said this in my log update as well, but I'm stating that I will NOT be voting for myself. I just don't think that's right, is all. I'm old-fashioned! :hehe:

13. zwiks

haha okey.. who have you voted for then ? hehehe :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. Dunno! I dunno if I'm even qualified to vote for any1, or if that's okay! LOL. I'll have to think about it, but it's a tough choice. All great mods.

15. zwiks

hehe its okey m8 :p

16. Tolk

Tolk Keep it simple, build it incredible

Wow... Just wow!

Honestly I don't think I deserve to be included with the other modders here, they're all way above my skill level.

I'm just poking away at what i thought would look cool :D

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for nominating me. :D I hope i don't disappoint in the long run!

Good luck to everyone!

-Tolk

17. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

very tough choice as all of the mod/builds are great.

But.......my vote goes to jhanlon303 and his "G5 Sacrilege"............:thumb:

Alan

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I couldn't believe when saw my project nominated! This is my first mod, scratch build actually and I'm nominated! WOOOW!!!!:D
    This is amazing, the feeling is so great, all the positive comments and feedbacks - it is a great feeling when someone gives you a good comment, says that yur mod is awsome, and the best part is when you look that sooo many people keep watching your work online! I'm sure that everyone feel the same:eek:
    All those pictures never show what our projects look like and it is hard to show all that exciting moments which we spend on those mods. If I only could I would invite everyone to see it live :hehe::D
    Great work all you guys, keep it up! GOOD LUCK !!!! We all already won !!!!:clap::clap::dremel::lol::D

19. zwiks

Yeah . I´m feeling the same way . damn , its just perfect . :D i love it :D and it makes you happy 24/7 :D

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

voted for EEL, for a number of reasons:

His case is amost done, and he made great progress on it in februari.
    The build quality is damn good, and i just love how he picks colors that he knows everyone will hate on. Modding is modifying a case to fit your own preferences, and nothing else. This is a mod in the true sense of the word.

Congrats on being nominated to all of you! :D

Tags: Add Tags