1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kojima: Blu-ray isn't big enough for MGS4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. CrixD

CrixD Teh LoLlandic fool :o

:O holy **** o_o!

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

lazy/poor/lack of compression is not an excuse for filling a disc.

4. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

How about splitting it up onto 2 discs. It would cost more but should be worth it for more content.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

QFT

besides, Orange Box is like what? 25 GB? thats 5 games, so even if MGS4 is as big as 5 games it would only fill half of that 50Gb avalaible on blueray.

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

assuming that this game is still coming to the 360, and the PC. users will require 6 DVD's!!!! just imagine the install.

99% of developers are still having difficulty finding enough content to fill a dvd, so i agree with BioSniper, but me also thinks that all the cut scenes must be pre-render HD video.

I mean, the 3D world plus all the voice acting can't be that big........ 15-20GB tops, unless this game is meant to be more of a movie than an actual game

Last edited: 3 Mar 2008
  7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm... if they can't fit the game on a single 50GB Blu-ray disc... how many DVDs is it going to come on for the 360?

8. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

:jawdrop:

QFT

Seeing that I have seen some gfx demos with audio, that are less than half a meg and look near realistic!
    I think they can improve on the compression of textures by a fair ammount without effecting the image quality toomuch, not as is the PS3 would not be cabable of uncompessing these on the fly.

9. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

the orange box was only 7GB on the 360, so there is no way in hell that it was 25GB on the PS3 unless it was uncompressed and if that was so the loading times were awful compared to the 360, and also it was the pc install that was around the 27GB mark.

10. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

makes me worry about the amount of crappy voice acting i'm going to have to listen to...

11. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

What are they doing with it anyway? Putting it all uncompressed on the disc? Stupidity!

12. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

I dont beleive it to be honest. He must have been pissed when he said that. To say a game thats due out on the 360 as well (dual layer dvd at most) that it cant fit on a 50Gb disk is taking the piss.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

QFT +whatever we're on

I remember the PR ******** before the PS3 was released about how they were filling the disks already, which was only because they weren't compressing the data so much and had to repeat data on some games like oblivion.

14. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Well, considering the fact that IF MGS4 gets released for the 360 it will be at least a year after the PS3 launch, that would give MS a chance to backpedal on ANOTHER statement of theirs and release MGS4 on the Blu-Ray drive that was never supposed to happend for the system.

=P

15. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Several hours of pre rendered cut scenes perhaps?

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Personally I see this as yet more of a sign that Kojima and co are just ego-f**ing each other with this game. There's no plausible reason for it to be so huge, so delayed, etc. They've just got carried away with themselves and had their egos too inflated with their own pretensiousness and reviewer-fed grandeur. That's what the news of the game has lead me to believe over the last few months anyway - but I guess we'll see when its released. Who know, I could be wrong and the game might be awesome.

Bear in mind it would have to have even more cutscenes that DMC4 for it to even get close to filling the disc too...that amount of movie isn't a good thing for what should be a game and not a film.

17. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

maybe the PC version comes in a 100GB hard drive instead of DVDs :)

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Oh. My. God. We're going back to the early 90s and the days of FMV. MGS4 is just a remake of The Seventh Guest :eeek:
    It doesn't bode well. Whichever way you look at it, it's looking like the game's going to suffer from over-hyping from both Kojima & MGS fanboys. This can only lead to disappointment all round :(

19. Major

Major Guest

Might? No need for "might", it will be awesome, no doubt about it. Have you even played the last 3-4 games in the series?...

20. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Bwuaaaahaaaaaahahahaha learn to fkng program. Ever seen 64k demos? afcourse not. PS3 cant do sht except layering huge uncompressed prety pictures (called sprites) and let these huge pictures move around the screen happy happy joy joy! So much fun. with the PS3 stickfigures engine.

Tags: Add Tags