1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red PC-6400 4GB kit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Mar 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

i don't see any pictures of the OCZ ????

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry, I meant "linked above".

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

having a 2GB kit in the mix to compare performance to the 4GB ones would have been nice... anyway, nice review of a good product, shame that it doesnt oc like the legendary D9GMH / D9GMX ram though.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's plenty of 2GB memory reviews out there already and we've planned to do a specific "Is more memory better" review in a few weeks :)

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Sounds good :thumb: Could you do a comparison using 4GB on a 32bit OS as well? That would be really great

Last edited: 17 Mar 2008
  7. Tidy_Boy

Tidy_Boy What's a Dremel?

"4GB on a 32bit"

That would be ok if 32bit OS could use all of it

8. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

How dare ye misspell Corsair! (Check the charts)

9. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

agree with tidy_boy, I had problems with 4gb in winxp 32bit edition

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, 64-bit only. The price difference between 32-bit and 64-bit OEM is nothing these days.

11. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Yes, but Vista in 64-bit takes up more memory that 32-bit. As do all your apps. In the comparisons I have read it is usually between 15% and 20% more memory usage than 32-bit. So having a 32-bit configuration for the test might be a good idea.

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I know that there is little difference in price and that 32bit OSs can't use the lot. But I though it might have been an interesting comparison to do.

Not to worry though.

13. Zargon

Zargon Master of the Universe

Any chance you can look at 8gb in the review? I have quite a few questions regarding the advantages of 8gb vs 4gb (64bit vista).

14. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Well overclockers.co.uk are stocking the crucial ram reviewed here, on this week only for just £84.59 (inc. Vat)

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nice find! When did it go this week only? I tried looking around last night but didn't find it. Admittedly I didn't look at OCUK though. We can't really take a special offer as a consistent price though, because next week it could be much more expensive?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-116-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=813

Bargain!

Zargon - it's planned as: 2x1GB, 4x1GB, 2x2GB, 4x2GB. That's a lot of hours testing.

16. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

Just for an unscientific/interest point, I felt that putting another 2gb in my vista 64 system did give it an perceptible extra oomph...

And given that the OS now idles on 1.8gb used...that would make sense. I assume that a fair chunk of that is superfetch, although it is still slightly incredible!

17. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

---addendum for Zargon

I have never yet managed to use the full 4gb, or even get within 200/300mb of it, regardless of how heavily I am multitasking - I just cannot imagine 8gb giving any further use.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The 64-bit version of Vista is designed to use memory more dynamically, so if you have 8GB of memory it'll simply throw more into it to take even less weight off the need to access the hard drive and pagefile.

19. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Hate to jump on the request bandwagon, but if you have a bit of extra time can you run Vista vs Vista SP1. Just a normal 4GB bench (startup-idle and stressed) should be enough.

Forget about it. I could do that here. :) Suspect M$ did something to the fundamental way Vista works with RAM given that they got a wacky branding case in the court and the slight delay in SP1 by a month or so. :)

I think Vista SP1 should be out in a week or 2 to some. In April or May for most.

Vista SP1 out tomorrow. Not in a week.

It's has a lot to do with the way software is coded.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2008
  20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Article Addendum: We got in contact with CrucialPR that corrected us that the memory chips used are in fact Micron, not Prochip. We have corrected this technicality accordingly :)

Tags: Add Tags