1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Windows Vista SP1 gaming performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Mar 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Mar 2008
  2. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Interesting, I have just gone to 64bit SP1 Ultimate myself, and it seems amazing in Windows yet to load into Crysis and COD4.

3. Andune

Andune What's a Dremel?

Nice article, i was waiting for someone to test the gaming performance of SP1, was hoping for a bigger performance gain though.
    Are there any difference between 32 and 64bit?

4. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The biggest thing I noticed was file copying. My boot up and shutdown did decrease a bit too though. I still have a few minor issues in Vista though. Namely my official monitor drivers refuse to install and the security center tells me AVG is off when I boot up even though it is on when the message appears. It goes away within a few seconds though and then the security center sees it correctly. I also can't run the 64bit version of UT2k4. It crashes when I change to a higher resolution. And the built in DVD decoder will not play DVDs because it says a piece of my hardware is not compliant. It has to be the actual DVD drive because my monitor and video card support HTCP. I am using VLC for now. I tried a codec pack with a DVD decoder but it came up all garbled and now Vista thinks there is no DVD decoder there anymore.

Everything is pretty minor though. All in all I really like Vista. I just wish it had more to offer. Honestly all the useful features in Vista could have been added into XP. I just wish they hadn't scrapped the new file system, that would have made it worth it.

5. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

I'd love to actually get SP1 installed to see what the difference is for me, except every time i try i get error 80073712...
    Seems a million other people are also getting this, except the trouble is, none of the solutions seem to work for me (or alot of other people for that matter) :(

Anyone know a way to fix this WITHOUT having to do a full re-install?!

6. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

SP1 Doesn't actually show in my windows update and I checked to see if it had been installed automatically yet it hasn't weird stuff!

7. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

It doesn't show on mine either, but my vista is in Italian so I have to wait another month for the Italian SP localization to be complete.

8. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

I've found with Sp1 it's best to get the standalone and do a full reinstall. Just easier.

9. boe_d

boe_d What's a Dremel?

If articles like this want to be informative and helpful to the readers, they should include XP performance as well so readers know not to get Vista.

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Because that comment in itself was helpful and informative?

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'm still finding XP performance is better than Vista.

12. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

Hopefully they fixed the annoying Nvlddmkm error related to Nvida cards and the sound issues related to X-Fi cards

I would be nice to see a review based on a budget system (say 8800 GTS, Dual core 2Duo, 2gigs and Vista home Premium 32 bits) like the one I have.

13. Jonagon

Jonagon What's a Dremel?

It didn't show in mine either. But I think MS said that it wouldn't show up in some peoples windows update, so just download it seperatly.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nope! i still had quite a few of those nvlddmkm.sys errors with 174.xx drivers on my 8800GTX........ it's nVidia who needs fixing. (well, i wasn't exactly using the right driver for the right card)

8800GTS is not budget, lol.
    i'd say it's nice to see some top end performance figures for SP1, all those other are benchmarked using some crappy PentiumD or a laptop.

15. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Move from my old machine running XP a few weeks ago to a brand new box with all new kit and Vista x64. Didn't notice much difference in performance between XP and Vista (but then I did upgrade the hardware - a lot), and I've not noticed any differences from installing SP1 last week either.

I was impressed that I could copy settings and applications over mearly by copying them from my old XP program files directory straight into vista with no problems. In fact, apart from the fact I can't get it to Sleep properly, I've had no problems with Vista yet, what y'all moaning about? ;)

(frantically touches all wood within range)

16. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

So basically xp is still the gamers choice hense why all my machines are running it. Cant wait for service pack 3 tbh for xp :D

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hello and welcome to the forums - thanks for signing up to comment on this article. We appreciate all feedback--both good and bad. :)

However, the problem with your statement is that, based on my own personal experiences, the only viable way to run an x86-64 operating system is Windows Vista. Having used XP-x64 myself for a long period of time on my home machine, the move to Vista 64 was a massive step forwards for compatibility and driver support. Of course, Vista 64 driver support is by no means perfect, but it is a damn sight better than XP-x64 ever was/ever will be.

Tim

18. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I tried XP-x64 a while back. I was still in collage at the time and had a Lexmark printer. I used it a lot so I could not go with out it. Needless to say no x64 drivers and I could not get any generic drivers to work properly. Nor did I have the cash for a new one. So I went back to x86. That was over 2 years ago though.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It is and it's been well documented as easily twice as fast :)

If you already know Vista is slower then you can easily extrapolate how much faster/slower SP1 is.

20. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Always I am confused as to how reviewers sometimes get such disparate results from my experience. The test setup you guys used has 2gigs more ram, the same CPU but 600mhz faster than mine runs, a better mobo and a 9800GX2 instead of my 8800GT, and I get framerates in CoD4 that are only a tiny bit worse than what you get here. (I play at 1920x1200 with AA and AF maxed) I usually see 60FPS on most servers, sometimes as high as 85-90 and sometimes as low as 50-55. Was this just done testing SP possibly?

Tags: Add Tags